Hello everyone. I don't know much about guitar pickups and sounds, so I have some kind of a silly question :

I have a Les Paul Custom with Gibson 57 classics. I really like it. But I saved up some money and I would like to buy another guitar, which is a Les Paul TV yellow with P90s.

I chose that guitar because a famous guitarist (Nick Valensi FYI) uses these pickups and I love his sound. But will I hear much difference or is it just my ear that finds his tone different ?

Thanks !
P90s are very different from humbuckers. They're single coils and they have a very distinct sound. I love them.
p90s should sound a fair bit different to humbuckers. It depends on the model, of course, but fairly standard ones should sound noticeably different, but it won't be as big a difference as going to, say, fender-style single coils.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
P90s have more midrange than 57 classics and have a punchier tone but are still thicker than single coils. In the Strokes you'll notice that when Albert plays rhythm (the loud quick rhythm), Nick's tone competes and sounds thicker still over the single coils. When Nick plays rhythm, it's a bit thicker and muddier which makes Albert's single coil solos sound blues-ier and brighter. 57 classics sound thicker still and give you a heavier sound (especially with distortion). A lot of mellow rock band (like the Strokes) use single coils or P90s for that twangy indie rock sound, more traditional rock bands use the humbuckers. Also, Nick's P90s are on a semihollowbody and the Jekyll and Hyde distortion... both of those contribute to the sound as well... if you want his sound, you might as well get this:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Semi-Hollow-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitars/Nick-Valensi-Riviera-P94-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar-Antique-Natural.site1sku476366000017000.sku

Unless you want the Gibson name/quality, just get a Gibson semihollow and drop some P90/P94s in...

Of course, there are exceptions and all this is subject to what guitar they're in, what position, and what amp. Personally, I'd like to have 3 guitars with different pick ups in each one... when playing in a band (especially with multiple guitars), you can have different guitar arrangements to optimize your band's sound; for personal use, it's all preference =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at May 13, 2011,
thank you so much, and you have no idea how much I appreciate that someone actually knows and talks about the strokes in this board! Thanks a million for explain this to me, and I am very looking forward to the P90's then!

I know individuality is important, but having the sound of your favorite band is very cool!

Thanks everyone!!!!
I just edited my post above and added a link... yeah I <3 the Strokes, but most people around here dismiss them as douchebags that don't play teh br00tulz =P I love how they play such simple songs, but the arrangement of the two guitarists adds another level to the sound. They have really tight chemistry as far as guitarists go =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
I already have the jekyll and hyde! It's awesome! And I have nearly the same amp as them (they have fender 212 devilles, I have a blues jr, not the same but damn close!).

As much as I love the Strokes and Nick, I wouldn't buy a Riviera. It's too big for me I would look weird playing it! I prefer simpler style guitars.

Thanks a bunch for the info, fellow strokes fan!
Sweet! yeah I've been wanting a Jekyll and Hyde but it's kind of bulky (and I have too much stuff on my pedalboard) and I get a similar sound out of my Engishman + AC15 (very indie brit-rockish).... yeah I totally understand the not getting the Riviera (it's huge and bulky too, but then Nick is like 6 feet tall)... you're welcome