ANy ideas where I can get stop playing guitar by myself, and move on from just being a bedroom guitarist.
how did any of you guys formed bands, and find people to jam with, or just get further with your guitar playing, mainly b/c I have been hearing that you can't expect to get far with your guitarist if you just play on your own.
Last edited by meteor685 at May 15, 2011,
Most schools are pretty good places. Find other musicians there. Don't be afraid to join bands with different styles of music to you - it's all about getting yourself out there. Other than that, there are websites you can find similar musicians and you post on there yourself.

I mostly ended up forming bands by just asking people if they want to jam. If the jam went well enough for everyone to want to continue as a band - which is rare - then that's your band set up. If it doesn't, then you've got some experience.

Other than jamming, you can maybe form a cover band like you said. Just get yourself out there, get your number out there.

You're right in saying that you need to play with other people to get better. You might want to try playing with a metronome/drum machine if you want to get better at rhythm before you play with others!
craigslist is ok for some citys. ask all your friends that show an interest if they want to jam. Thats all i got
speeed killz
Well I jam with this other guitarist who goes to my school...
School is a good place for meeting other musicians.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by EdawMail
Most schools are pretty good places. Find other musicians there. Don't be afraid to join bands with different styles of music to you - it's all about getting yourself out there. Other than that, there are websites you can find similar musicians and you post on there yourself.

I mostly ended up forming bands by just asking people if they want to jam. If the jam went well enough for everyone to want to continue as a band - which is rare - then that's your band set up. If it doesn't, then you've got some experience.

Other than jamming, you can maybe form a cover band like you said. Just get yourself out there, get your number out there.

You're right in saying that you need to play with other people to get better. You might want to try playing with a metronome/drum machine if you want to get better at rhythm before you play with others!

i use a metronome and i use a backing track
Theres some cities/place which have open instrument nights, where you can just hop in the house band and play a song or two. This works for pretty much any instrument. I've seen mostly blues places do this but know of jazzy ones too. Then again, I live in Austin Tx so I'm not sure how much luck you'd have finding these kinda places.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
2 dudes in my math class were talking about jamming, they both play guitar and were gonna get a drummer to come to. I had jammed with the drummer before. I said "I could play bass for you guys."

Boom. Funny part is I didn't even play the bass (I'm a guitarist), I borrowed the drummers. Now I'm actually descent at the bass and we have a band now.
You don't have to mess with driving back and forth to private lessons, you don't have to alter your schedule around your teacher, and you don't have to devote hours out of every day to a tedious practice schedule.