So um, every time I bend my G string, it goes flat. About 5 cents per bend actually. I've tried graphite in the nut...any ideas?
yep
How many wrappings do you have on your machine heads ?
What guitar do you have ? Hardtail bridge or a tremolo ?
use higher gauge strings, stretch them properly after putting them on. makes a world of difference.

On top of that, go watch a string change tutorial or something first and make sure you doing it properly. A lot of tuning problems can be solved by doing the job right the first time.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at May 13, 2011,
Quote by Jhachey22
use higher gauge strings, stretch them properly after putting them on. makes a world of difference.

On top of that, go watch a string change tutorial or something first and make sure you doing it properly. A lot of tuning problems can be solved by doing the job right the first time.

Why would using a higher gauge help with tuning stability?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
How long has this been happening? On this set of strings, or regardless of what set you have on?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, I only just noticed this. The guitar is new, you see. I changed the strings to see if it would help another problem which is also still not resolved.

Aswell as this, the guitar will change pitch when i fret a chord. The remaining open strings, that is.
yep
What type of guitar is it?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
try setting the intonation, might fix your chord problem. if the intonation is off the guitar could be perfectly in tune and sound out of tune when you play chords.

i dont really have any better advice for the gstring problem, but it has happened to me many times. higher gauge strings it doesnt happen to as much. also as well as stretching them after theyre on, make sure you wind them tightly and neatly cos if you wind them all overlapping they will move.

do you have a tremolo bridge? put an extra spring in it, if your using high guage strings like 11 or 12s they could be moving the bridge. the important thing is to make sure that the tension in the springs is a little bit more than that in the strings to account for bending. unless its a floyd rose the tensions have put be pretty equal.
could it be that your machine head isn't the best and its back-lashing (meaning that under a bit of extra tension it moves a little bit flat?). apart from not winding the string around the post enough times (even experienced guitarists are guilty of it at times), this is one of the more common tuning issues around.
Quote by kaneorsomething
Danelectro DC 59.

I was going to post something mean, but that wouldn't help.

Try replacing the nut and tuners. Danos are notorious for less than capable hardware.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
I was going to post something mean, but that wouldn't help.

Try replacing the nut and tuners. Danos are notorious for less than capable hardware.

Besides this, I don't have a single complaint about the guitar. I don't think I was having this issue when it was brand new, either.

It might be worth mentioning that this isn't the rosewood-bridge with plastic tuners 59. It has an adjustable bridge and gotoh-style diecast tuners. (2010 reissue i believe).

Anyway, I've tried tugging at the tuner-end of the string to see if it goes out of tune. It's fine.

I've tried pulling from the bridge end to see if it goes out of tune..still fine...wtf?

It's just when I bend the string. Am I to assume it's getting caught on something if the bridge is stable?

Edit: New info. It only changes pitch when I bend higher up the neck. I guess this means it's a bridge issue?
yep
Last edited by kaneorsomething at May 14, 2011,
Almost definitely a nut issue.
Get the string at the 12th fret, and bend it basically as far as you can. Re-tune it and then repeat, you should find that each time you do it, it doesn't go as far out of tune.
Quote by littlephil
Almost definitely a nut issue.
Get the string at the 12th fret, and bend it basically as far as you can. Re-tune it and then repeat, you should find that each time you do it, it doesn't go as far out of tune.

You seem to be right, the amount definitely decreases. I can't seem to get it to be less than a 5 cent pitch change though... Do I just keep doing it until it works?
yep
I'm guessing the nut isn't cut properly. When you re-string/tune the guitar, can you hear the string making a sort of clicking noise?
Quote by littlephil
I'm guessing the nut isn't cut properly. When you re-string/tune the guitar, can you hear the string making a sort of clicking noise?

Nope, there's no weird sounds that I can make out. Just this one issue.
yep
Going out of tune after a bend is almost always a problem with the nut. The string shifts slightly when the tension is changed, then it binds in the nut and doesn't return to the neutral position. This is assuming the strings are thoroughly stretched when installed. If you keep bending and the problem doesn't go away (stretching the strings more), then you either need to lube the nut better, have the nut slots re-cut, or replace the nut with a graphtech or something to reduce the friction.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Going out of tune after a bend is almost always a problem with the nut. The string shifts slightly when the tension is changed, then it binds in the nut and doesn't return to the neutral position. This is assuming the strings are thoroughly stretched when installed. If you keep bending and the problem doesn't go away (stretching the strings more), then you either need to lube the nut better, have the nut slots re-cut, or replace the nut with a graphtech or something to reduce the friction.

Well, the stretching seems to gradually be working. It isn't perfect yet, though. How long should it take?
yep
I usually stretch three times, myself.

If that doesn't help, it could be the string slipping out of the tuning peg - the G string in particular likes to do that to me. I have a locking nut though so it doesn't really matter.
To combat the problem, I used to wind once loosely, go under that wind, then into the hole, going in between the windings. Then wind the peg and tune it to pitch - that should reduce slippage a bit similar to the "locking" method explained in the stickies - though the locking method is far better, I'm too fat and lazy to do it properly.

If graphite doesn't help any and you don't hear the occasional "PING" of a string getting unstuck, I doubt it's the nut.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Shouldn't take TOO long... when I change strings I usually just bend the hell out of them a few times, retune, repeat until they stop dropping out of tune. Usually only takes a few times. On my Carvin with a floyd I just yank the trem a few times and retune, and they're done stretching.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I really don't know what the issue is. Sometimes it stays in tune, then the next time it will go slightly out. It leads me to believe that the tuners aren't that stable.
yep
Are the tuners adjustable in any way? (usually there's a screw on the thingy you twist if it is)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Another thing I've noticed is that if, say, I am lying down with the guitar (as I often do so I can noodle in bed), the pitch is noticably higher on the tuning readout.

It seems like there isn't enough tension in the neck to keep the tuning stable...Does that make any sense even? The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard and a double-acting trussrod.
yep
Could you get a pic of the tuners? The screw on top could mean its a locking tuner, especially since you said its a Gotoh copy.
I'll get some pics in a while, but I highly doubt they're locking tuners. They seem the same as any other die-cast tuners I've owned. I think the screw on top (literally on the centre top of the tuning peg) is just to hold it on to the rest of the tuner, lol.

edit: They look a lot like these

yep
Last edited by kaneorsomething at May 15, 2011,