If this would be better in GG&A then just say so and i'll move it.

I have an old Crate GFX212 amp from the 90's that has a bit of a volume problem. On the distortion channel everything is fine, but on clean if you strum the string hard the amp will pop sometimes and the volume will either go way up or way down.

It does this with all guitars so its definetely the amp.

Does anyone have a guess to the problem? My best guess is just a bad pot but im not sure.

Thanks for any help.
Obviously Fassa.
yeah, Its gotta be something with your electronics and pots inside, I have one of those old crates, take it somewhere, the way their designed you can't really do anything yourself on them
It could be the clean volume pot - check it in the first place. If there is a master - you could try turning the clean volume all the way up and see if the problem persists.
When you strum on clean - the amp gets a formidable shake, so it really could happen that the pot reacts to that vibrations.
Alright ill try to check it. What are the pots usually on amps?

Since its a solid state I don't have to worry about remaining voltages as long as its unplugged right?
Obviously Fassa.
Sounds like a bad transistor to me. I would find a licensed electrician to service it (check the wiring and test the transistors).
Quote by Rock In Rio
Alright ill try to check it. What are the pots usually on amps?

Since its a solid state I don't have to worry about remaining voltages as long as its unplugged right?

I'm pretty sure solid state amps still use capacitors, which are the dangerous ones. If you don't discharge them they are very dangerous.
Could it still be the transistor since the distortion channel volume works fine? Its just the clean channel that freaks out sometimes.
Obviously Fassa.