I need some quick answers please, how can I tell if a guitar is made out of plywood or solid wood (basswood), I'm testing a Squier bullet tomorrow ;
By serial number ? Or are there any ways?
Last edited by struguri at May 13, 2011,
easiest way to find out is to take off the neck. If you see horizontal lines around the edge of the neck pocket, It is plywood. You won't be able to tell aesthetically just by looking at it since it'll be painted over or a veneer is on it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
sounds like its not yours, and you risk breaking a string when you put them back on.
easiest and safest way is to take off the backplate.
but i think squiers (if not all guitars) are painted with no bare wood anywhere like under neck or cavities. so ONLY way i think to physically see if its ply wood would be to sand away some paint in the cavity.
id try specs first
the guitar is not mine, I haven't really fiddled with an electric, so I wouldn't risk doing something stupid, he told me it's a bullet, so I read that the ones from 2007 onward are made out of basswood, I don't know how to read a Serial Number very well, maybe if I can find the year it was made, it would give me an ideea, but I haven't found a site where i can identify by SN.

Maybe the backplate ideea is something more do-able. I can't rip apart the man's guitar afterall...

Any tips?
Quote by struguri
I need some quick answers please, how can I tell if a guitar is made out of plywood or solid wood (basswood), I'm testing a Squier bullet tomorrow ;
By serial number ? Or are there any ways?

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell what wood any given guitar besides checking the specs, which are not always accurate. However, you are in luck. There is no surefire way to tell if a Squier Bullet is made out of plywood, but there is an easy way to tell if it is not.

If it was made between 2008 and now or between 1997 to 2004, then it will not be plywood.

There were a few Plywood ones made in 2005, more in 2006 and most of the 2007 ones are plywood. Pre-1996, bullets were greatly different from what they are now and are actually fairly valuable for a Squier (~$300US), with 1996 "50th Anniversary" ones being the most prized.

That being said; DO NOT BUY A SQUIER BULLET! Regardless of what wood they're made out of they are terrible, terrible guitars.

EDIT: The first two digits (almost always letters) in the S/n are the factory code for the guitar (i.e. which factory it was made), first 2 numbers in the S/N is the year of manufacture (e.g. "-99-" is 1999, "-08-" is 2008). For example, my Squier Tele's S/N is "CY08014736" meaning it was built in one of the 2 Chinese factories in 2008, and is guitar number 14736.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 13, 2011,
Quote by kangaxxter
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell what wood any given guitar besides checking the specs, which are not always accurate. However, you are in luck. There is no surefire way to tell if a Squier Bullet is made out of plywood, but there is an easy way to tell if it is not.

If it was made between 2008 and now or between 1997 to 2004, then it will not be plywood.

There were a few Plywood ones made in 2005, more in 2006 and most of the 2007 ones are plywood. Pre-1996, bullets were greatly different from what they are now and are actually fairly valuable for a Squier (~$300US), with 1996 "50th Anniversary" ones being the most prized.

That being said; DO NOT BUY A SQUIER BULLET! Regardless of what wood they're made out of they are terrible, terrible guitars.

EDIT: The first two digits (almost always letters) in the S/n are the factory code for the guitar (i.e. which factory it was made), first 2 numbers in the S/N is the year of manufacture (e.g. "-99-" is 1999, "-08-" is 2008). For example, my Squier Tele's S/N is "CY08014736" meaning it was built in one of the 2 Chinese factories in 2008, and is guitar number 14736.

I bought it, it's black and it has this serial number
COB080948531
If you DO buy it, Don't pay alot for it. You can buy a New Affinity Squier Strat for $179.00 , which is a little better. Or a Squier Standard Strat that has better elctronics and hardware , for $229.00.

A Friend of mines kid has a Bullet. It's not that bad but the neck was a bit thicker than what I would think a guitar meant for "beginners" would be. Plus the string spacing is a bit narrower towards the nut.

Just remember, A cheapie guitar will be harder to play because of it's action, tuning stability and neck shape.

That being said, if you can get it cheap enough, it might not be too bad for a first guitar. Especially if you plan to replace it if you keep playing and get better.

Good Luck.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Yeah, kinda hard to see through the paint there. Does it sound good and/or feel good? It is totally possible to make a bad guitar with good wood. And if it works good, the type of wood is not enough of a reason to stop liking it.