So i had this idea, of having a TB box to put my delay pedal in, but where i can turn the 'trails' on or off using a toggle switch, The idea being i can add a boost before the delay & in the loop of the pedal as a solo boost. Here's a diagram. Any idea if it'll work? If not could you gimme any pointers?

Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

I've got no idea what you are trying to do with the red switch (I assume it's a switch?)

I made a similar device a long time ago - here is the wiring - it's a bit messy but hopefully you can follow it. EDIT - made a cleaner one it doesn't do LEDs now but you can do that using the 3rd pole on the switch.

Essentially the top row on the switch is only concerned with the LEDs that show if the switch is bypassed or not. If you don't want LEDs, just ignore it.

My thread is here

A couple of things I learnt along the way are don't rely on the enclosure to earth everything, wire the earths up.

Switching them isn't silent - even though it uses the same wiring as I've used lots of times for home made pedals, it seems to be noisier.

Edit 2: had send/return the wrong way around!
Last edited by mark_wuk at May 14, 2011,
i think all the red switch would give you while the TB pedal is in bypass, is hum.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by inkandlead
No idea whats going on there. Those aren't even complete circuits. Check out this page:
http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html
It will tell you everything you need to know.

it would be complete because i use metal cases so all the grounds would be connected cia the case. the red 'box' is a SPST toggle and the blue one is a 3pdt footswitch, what i'm trying to acheive with the red switch is, if you'd red the description i gave, would be to toggle the 'trails' of a delay pedal. so i figured the footswitch would control whether the signal is sent to the pedals or not, and the toggle would control whether or not the signal is cut with the switch, or continued though the ouput. hope that made sense
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

anyone?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

:/
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Having a hard time understanding this, honestly. Lets see if I got it right:
The button changes the signal from dry to the delay pedal.
And the toggle is there as a kill switch for the dry signal.

What signal are you trying to kill with the toggle? The whole thing?
well with it being true bypass, when i bypass the pedal, it will kill the decay of the delay. I want the toggle to allow the delay to ring off. hope that helps
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

I wasn't really looking at building a delay pedal, just a switching box really. The problem i'm having, i want a boost when i do little lead bits, but i want the delay there too, and i can't really switch 2 pedals on at the same time. so the obvious solution is a loop box, But then with it being true bypass, i lose the tails on my delay. Can't believe no ones had this problem before!
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

what youve got going makes sense to me. im not completely sure it will work exactly as intended, but it makes sense. since the pedal output can be directly connected to delay output, you might run into some strange issues.

you dont really need a 3pdt switch either, so you could use a dpdt. or use the third leg for an LED indicator. and if you do that, you need power. in which case i would stick a buffer on the "trails" output of the red switch, so you never have an issue with signal flowing backwards.
yeah the third row is going for an LED but i didnt wanna confuse the diagram any more haha. do you know how i could wire it up a better way then? seeing as you're the first person that's understood my idea :P haha
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

no one else?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

You need to put the red switch on the input/send side. When you want to turn the delay off you hit the red switch and you will hear the trails. After the trails are gone then you hit the other switch to bypass.

I'm assuming you need the red switch because the delay pedal doesn't have trails. But the red switch is inadequate. You need the red switch to cut the send and then mix in the dry signal with the return trails. So the circuit needs to be a bit more complicated. You'll probably need a DPDT on the red switch as well. You might be able to mix the dry and trails with a couple of 50K ohm resistors on each lead (dry and trails) going to the output.
^ it shouldnt matter if the existing pedal has trails, since it is never turning off. when you cut the input by switching to the output, the delay trails from the already played notes should continue.

i just went and (sorta) tested it. i have a pedal that doesnt work, but basicly works as a kill switch since it is true bypass. when i play through a delay after it, and then kill the input, it continues with the delays. so that part should work correctly.

its the output stage is what i am worried about, and getting stuff feeding backwards. a simple summing mixer would work if a buffer wouldnt.
The red switch in his diagram is what give him the trails. He wouldn't need it if the delay pedal had trails.
My delay pedal does have trails. It's a DD6, but i want to use a boost before it to make it louder when the delay is engaged, so i'm making this box to save me having to press two pedals at once, but with it being true bypass, when i turn it off, the trails will cut off too.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

In this case couldn't you just turn the delay off and let the trails fade and then hit the bypass? Still hitting two switches, yes, but not at the same time.
but the boost would still be on, defeating the object.....
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Hey, where's the wiring? :S haha
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna