Page 1 of 2
Has anyone tried the new EMG James Hetfield Signatures? Im thinking about slapping some in my Les Paul, but i cant seem to find any videos of it or reviews...
Thinking about putting some pickups, that practically no one knows what they sound, in your guitar? Re-think man. Be patient, they'll be soon released.
As person above stated, they've just been published.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
That's because they haven't been released yet, they only just announced them a few days ago.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Accessories/Fretted-Instrument-Accessories-Parts/Guitar-Pickups-Parts/Guitar-Pickups/Electric-Guitar-Pickups/Humbucker-Pickups/JH-James-Hetfield-Humbucker-Set.site1skuH73241000000000.sku

5/25/11 is the pre-order release date.

Though I've never pre-ordered anything guitar related before....

and why didn't these come with the new James Hetfield guitars? That pisses me off the most.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by ChucklesMginty
That's because they haven't been released yet, they only just announced them a few days ago.

LOL really? I just caught wind of them today and one of my buds told me they've been released for like 3 months...i might have to smash a beer bottle over his head or somethin just to teach him right...

They do look REALLY good, and if they actually hold up to what James has said in interviews, they might be EMG's best pups...atleast i hope so, I had a set of EMG 81 (or 85) with a 60 because thats what his current set up is...its alright, i'd recommend it to metal players any day...but the new ones he's releasing look SWEET
Quote by NosralTserrof
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Accessories/Fretted-Instrument-Accessories-Parts/Guitar-Pickups-Parts/Guitar-Pickups/Electric-Guitar-Pickups/Humbucker-Pickups/JH-James-Hetfield-Humbucker-Set.site1skuH73241000000000.sku

5/25/11 is the pre-order release date.

Though I've never pre-ordered anything guitar related before....

and why didn't these come with the new James Hetfield guitars? That pisses me off the most.

I KNOW!!! I was about .0002453 seconds away from buying the Snakebyte because i love how it looks, but i've recently decided to buy a new amp and new pickups over a new guitar. Though, the Snakebyte will always be in the back of my mind as a future purchase

EDIT: How are Agile Guitars? I've never had the pleasure to try one out, but i saw in it your signature...figured i might as well ask.
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 13, 2011,
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

EDIT: How are Agile Guitars? I've never had the pleasure to try one out, but i saw in it your signature...figured i might as well ask.

Beautiful......you can't try them out, because they're an online store (Link, but I actually have their lower end model. It ran me $250 and it plays like a dream. I would suggest getting new pups, but the stock ones are fine. Absolutely consider them. How much have you got to blow? Cause you can really get some nice stuff by them....
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I've got about 1200$ to blow lol...I was really interested in the Ghost series (i believe thats what its called) but the LP models look beautiful

im wanting to spend about 500-700$ on an amp...so the rest is wide open for anything else...i just figured that those EMGs would be good to buy, since my Epi's stock pups are pretty muddy...

EDIT: If i could find a good amp for around 400-600$, I'd very easily spend all the money on a new guitar, because i've had this Les Paul for about 4 years...and after that long im ready to get something new.

EDIT: I believe that the Custom Shop is completely backed up for the year...but i'd EASILY buy a normal guitar from them, they look so good for sooo cheap
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
I've got about 1200$ to blow lol...I was really interested in the Ghost series (i believe thats what its called) but the LP models look beautiful

im wanting to spend about 500-700$ on an amp...so the rest is wide open for anything else...i just figured that those EMGs would be good to buy, since my Epi's stock pups are pretty muddy...

EDIT: If i could find a good amp for around 400-600$, I'd very easily spend all the money on a new guitar, because i've had this Les Paul for about 4 years...and after that long im ready to get something new.

EDIT 2: I believe that the Custom Shop is completely backed up for the year...but i'd EASILY buy a normal guitar from them, they look so good for sooo cheap

Again, nobody, except JH himself and EMG (Well, the 50K People at the Big 4 show as well) know what the pickups sound like, so I would wait until maybe Fall to get some demos of em up.

I assume that you play metal, so I recommend either the EMG X series or the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They're kind of a bridge between active and passive pups, but in an active "shell". More organic than regular active pickups.

Though the JH set seems that it literally a mix between actives and passives.....

For Edit 1: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc A personal favorite of mine. Great for gigs or home practice. Sounds awesome as well. Goes really well with active pups as well.

For Edit 2: What do you mean custom shop? As in Agile? I had no idea they had one.....
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Again, nobody, except JH himself and EMG (Well, the 50K People at the Big 4 show as well) know what the pickups sound like, so I would wait until maybe Fall to get some demos of em up.

I assume that you play metal, so I recommend either the EMG X series or the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They're kind of a bridge between active and passive pups, but in an active "shell". More organic than regular active pickups.

Though the JH set seems that it literally a mix between actives and passives.....

For Edit 1: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc A personal favorite of mine. Great for gigs or home practice. Sounds awesome as well. Goes really well with active pups as well.

For Edit 2: What do you mean custom shop? As in Agile? I had no idea they had one.....

Oh yes...you get to go in, custom spec EVERYTHING from the neck dimensions, to the pups, to the color/veneer, fret size, whammy or no whammy...its great...but its completely backed up for this year...i guess that says something for the company lol

I'll check into the Vypyr Tube 60, it seems really good, as well as looking into the EMG X's...but im not in any hurry so i suppose i could wait until fall

Ya, im into metal and classic rock (like The Eagles) and more older metal stuff like Black Sabbath...
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
Oh yes...you get to go in, custom spec EVERYTHING from the neck dimensions, to the pups, to the color/veneer, fret size, whammy or no whammy...its great...but its completely backed up for this year...i guess that says something for the company lol

I'll check into the Vypyr Tube 60, it seems really good, as well as looking into the EMG X's...but im not in any hurry so i suppose i could wait until fall

Ya, im into metal and classic rock (like The Eagles) and more older metal stuff like Black Sabbath...

Just saw it after 15 minutes of looking, and that's very interesting..........

HOWEVER, they're regular stuff is AMAZING as well. I think the upper models (Which only costs $500, not bad at all) have quality pickups, like Seymour Duncans and such in them. Good stuff.

The Vypyr T60 is great for metal, but idk about older metal....maybe take a look see at Blackstar, especially the HT series.

I don't think active are gonna be the best for classic metal.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Thats what i was thinking...Im actually looking into this 2 guitars, you think either one would be decent?

http://www.rondomusic.com/ghostiiiwhite.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000hsbfslim.html

im leaning more towards the Ghost...because i've always loved that shape (sort of a modded xplorer kind of look or somethin ya know?)...but im also a big fan of Les Pauls

EDIT: I'd want something thats 24 fret...mostly because thats something i complain alot with with my Les Paul
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

EDIT: I'd want something thats 24 fret...mostly because thats something i complain alot with with my Les Paul

I think I found a winner. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Prophecy-GX-Electric-Guitar-104809959-i1385892.gc

24 frets, passive pickups ( that are high output, so you can get that metal tone), in a Les Paul shape. $700 bucks. That plus the Vypyr will run you $1150.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
lol, sounds like a deal!

Thanks for the help man, next time i go to a Guitar Center i'll check out the prophecy and the Peavey Tube 60...again, thank you
I have a few questions regarding specifically the new JH EMGs but could also apply to all EMGs in general.

Do they come with a toggle switch? it doesn't appear to from the pictures. If not, how does one go about wiring in the current one in their guitar with the solderless wiring system?

And my other question is: What are the springs for?

Also I know that it's possible to wire them in many different ways. If I were to hypothetically leave out the tone controls would they "be set" to "10" or "0" I really don't use my tone controls so I'd like to bypass them at "10"

Thanks so much for the help!
Last edited by sghunter182 at May 13, 2011,
I have no clue....all i know is that i enjoy Metallica and i believe EMG will make a good reliable set of pickups.

About all the tech stuff, i have no clue whatsoever...and i have no clue what the springs are meant for...
I know man lol me too. Just some questions for people who may have more experience with them then I do. I've wanted to make the jump from active to passive for a while and these sound like they may be the ticket.
$250 For A Set Of Pickups!?!?

WHAT THE FUCK
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Thats what im hoping...i had a set of EMG 85/60 in my Les Paul, but after catching wind of these new EMG JH's, im quite interested because im looking for passive pups that offer the sound of active pups

its something i will definitly keep an eye on until they release
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
$250 For A Set Of Pickups!?!?

WHAT THE FUCK

Hey, Bareknuckles are damn near 160$ PER PICKUP...now thats ridiculous...

Gibson 57 Classics are 150$ apiece...so thats 300$ for the set...

Wolftone (or whatever those are called) are almost $140+ per pickup

So what im saying is that, compared to other "high" quality pickups...these are fairly priced...and where did you get 250$ from? On musiciansfriend its like 230$
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

So what im saying is that, compared to other "high" quality pickups...these are fairly priced...and where did you get 250$ from? On musiciansfriend its like 230$

That's because Bareknuckle pickups are actually good.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
wait, do you even have a good amp?

instead of splurging 250 on a pair of pickups you should use that money first for an amp and pedals.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
wait, do you even have a good amp?

instead of splurging 250 on a pair of pickups you should use that money first for an amp and pedals.

+1

And instead of making a dozen threads about what gear to get, why not take the advice you've already gotten, by an amp, and then go from there?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

Please don't put toneless crap like EMGs in the same category as Wolfetones and Bareknuckles...
Quote by al112987
Please don't put toneless crap like EMGs in the same category as Wolfetones and Bareknuckles...

sry... they might suck for your kind of music... but there are a shitload of artist which could afford those "precious" bareknuckles or whatever without even careing about the price. so there must be smth going on bout the tone right?`even if its suiten more towards a metallish style!

BTT: i think one must hear some reviews/clips from them to judge if theyre worth the 30$ from the normal ones
The visual factor is cool, and if they are based of off the 81/60 with improvements they could be pretty sweet. And of course throw in the 18v mod which makes the regular EMG's sound better. I will wait for release and reviews first. I still have some Black Chrome Blackouts that need a home.
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by Rash Kah
sry... they might suck for your kind of music... but there are a shitload of artist which could afford those "precious" bareknuckles or whatever without even careing about the price. so there must be smth going on bout the tone right?`even if its suiten more towards a metallish style!

wut

he doesnt have to buy Bareknuckles if he is in the US, Wolfetone Blisterbuckers are $120 each which is about the same price as this EMG set if you buy 2 of them.
feel free to add me
Quote by Rash Kah

BTT: i think one must hear some reviews/clips from them to judge if theyre worth the 30$ from the normal ones
You are right, I should fully expect to pay the same price for a mass produced product just because it has some guitarist's name on it as I do for a pickup that I can call the winder and have them hand-make to whatever specifications I want. And THEN if I don't like it, I can send it back and have them tweak it or rewind it for no charge on my behalf.
Quote by al112987

I tried a pair of Bareknuckle Nailbombs and i wasnt impressed...there is no way in hell i would pay that much for a pair of pickups when i can get something that does the job just as well for less...

Im not saying EMG's are the best pup brand out there, but atleast they are somewhat affordable.

EDIT: I've never tried wolftone, if i can find a set of them that are just as good and not overpriced i'd buy them
Quote by Major Sparky
+1

And instead of making a dozen threads about what gear to get, why not take the advice you've already gotten, by an amp, and then go from there?

I do have a decent amp, its a Jet City JCA20h...it may not be "as good as" other 2000$ amps, but it suits me just fine
Quote by coolstoryangus
Was it through your mg?

Lol i dont have an MG, i've only tried one out
On what setup did you try BKP nailbombs and where?

I thought your guitar center was like 3 hours away rofllllllll
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
The visual factor is cool, and if they are based of off the 81/60 with improvements they could be pretty sweet. And of course throw in the 18v mod which makes the regular EMG's sound better. I will wait for release and reviews first. I still have some Black Chrome Blackouts that need a home.

Personally i love how they look, and from what i can tell from the spec's i've read they seem like they're gonna be really good pickups.

But i competely agree with you, before i dump the money on a set, im going to have to try them out or read a few reviews
Quote by coolstoryangus
On what setup did you try BKP nailbombs and where?

I thought your guitar center was like 3 hours away rofllllllll

One of my friends has a Gibson LP with a set of Nailbombs in it. And ya, the closest guitar center to me is like 2.4 hours away...my friend lives about 40 minutes away. He has a old Marshall JCM800, idk what type of cabinet...

EDIT: Dont get me wrong...they were good, but not THAT good

EDIT: Im also glad you found that funny....somehow (?)
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 14, 2011,
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
EDIT: I've never tried wolftone, if i can find a set of them that are just as good and not overpriced i'd buy them

You order them through Wolfetone's site so that means GC probably wont carry them. a set of Blisterbuckers are the same price as those EMGs.
feel free to add me
feel free to add me
someone needs to try a set of good pick ups for once.

barenuckles are worth every penny. probably more...

people don't put $85 goodyears on a ferrari for a reason.
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

Yeah, but if you've ever played a set of Bareknuckes, it makes everything else look like childs pickups, and Bareknuckles makes the Gibson pickups look like Squier coils.

I'll be interested to see how these things sound.
Page 1 of 2