Poll: Would you take the Money from a lost wallet?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you take the Money from a lost wallet?
Yes
69 39%
No
109 61%
Voters: 178.
Page 1 of 3
So today my friend found a wallet with $260 in it and pocketed it. I asked him if he felt bad about it and he said not really. It made me angry, but I didn't really know what to say to him. Now, I can't really look at him the same way and I just can't understand how he wouldn't be racked with guilt.

So, what would you do if you found a wallet with lots of money in it? Is it bad karma to take it? Would you just be guilty? Or do you think that they deserve to lose it due to their carelessness?
Quote by SG_dave
I'd check for an ID to find out who's it was.
No ID I keep the money, ID in it I get hold of the person and return it.
Unless the money was in excess of £500. Then I'd take it to the police.

This, but if I ever find loose notes I keep. I don't think I'd be able to steal the money, then face the guy and give him his wallet, par the money
It's not how big your pencil is; it's how you write your name.
Last edited by MrRockandRoll at May 13, 2011,
If I didn't desperately need the money (surgery or a new amp) I'd probably turn it in if I'd find an ID or driver's license. I easily get a bad consciousness, so I most probably would feel very bad about stealing a larger sum that way.
If I find a wallet I leave everything in it and just look for ID to see if the owner can be found. For phones I'll look for a home number to call, but loose money is for keepsies, unless it's a large amount. Most I've ever found is £20, but I found 3 separate £20 notes within 3 months. Times were good then! I reckon I'd hand in anything over £50.
@-}-}-}-
Quote by SG_dave

This. If there was no indication whose wallet it is, then the money belongs to whoever finds it.
**** that, i'd take it, his loss. Karma is a bitch and it's ****ed me over a thousand times, and i've given back lost items many times.
pinga
In that situation stop and think if it was your wallet and the worry you would feel knowing that money and your cards are in there.

Result: Money on the ground is free-game unless you saw it drop from someone, return it. Money in a wallet is off-limits

/thread
i'd spend some time trying to find the person.

then i'd keep it if i fail.

hard to feel remorseful when you have lots of new shit.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by SG_dave

This is pretty much how it ought to go. There will nearly always be an ID in it.
lol interweb heroics!

don't believe a single one of you

take the goddamn money and stfu
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Cb4rabid
**** that, i'd take it, his loss. Karma is a bitch and it's ****ed me over a thousand times, and i've given back lost items many times.

You clearly don't understand the concept of Karma.

The concept is it fucks you over, you don't fuck it over, it fucks you over.

But it can go like this: it fuc
ks you over, you do fuck it over, it fucks the shit out of you... over.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
You clearly don't understand the concept of Karma.

The concept is it fucks you over, you don't fuck it over, it fucks you over.

But it can go like this: it fuc
ks you over, you do fuck it over, it fucks the shit out of you... over.

I found an ipod. I gave it to the poor soul who lost it. One month later, mine gets stolen.

**** karma.
pinga
I'd always try give it back, hand it in to the cops or maybe hang around for a bit, pocket it for myself if all fails.

I've had mine handed into the police a few times and the joy of getting it back was so sweet, I'd love to be the one handing it in for someone else.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Turn it all in to the police. If I find lose notes however I'll keep them, even if I did turn it in, whoever I turned it into would just pocket it any ways.
Quote by robhc
Turn it all in to the police. If I find lose notes however I'll keep them, even if I did turn it in, whoever I turned it into would just pocket it any ways.

I think if you turn it in you probably have to give an i.d, and they do an inventory of what was in it, the person handing it in confirms the inventory same as the officer and most likely a witness. Well that's my belief though.

Best to pocket it and say you found it in the gutter (not where you found it though) if you're looking out for number one.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Last edited by Teh Traineez0rz at May 13, 2011,
Quote by Cb4rabid
I found an ipod. I gave it to the poor soul who lost it. One month later, mine gets stolen.

**** karma.

Uh... Karma doesn't exist?

Don't be a complete bell end.
Quote by Wiegenlied
lol interweb heroics!

What the heck? Are morals really this far from you? Where did you grow up?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
I think if you turn it in you probably have to give an i.d, and they do an inventory of what was in it, the person handing it in confirms the inventory same as the officer and most likely a witness. Well that's my belief though.

Best to pocket it and say you found it in the gutter (not where you found it though) if you're looking out for number one.

By loose notes, what I meant was just notes lying on the ground on their own, rather than in a wallet. If you had just a note in, it will most likely get pocketed.
oh my bad.

Quote by wiegenlied
lol interweb heroics!

but im rich biatch.
yo.

I BELIEVE
I wouldn't take the money. I'd either try to contact the person or I'd turn it in to the police.

You never know who you're taking that money from. Sure, it could be some guy with millions of dollars, or it could be some guy that needs that money to buy his family food.

I know how much I'd hate to have the money taken from my wallet if I lost it, so why do it to someone else?
I'd definitely take the money and then just put the wallet back on the ground or wherever I found it. Take better care of your stuff. You have to look out for number one in this world.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
I have no real need for such money. I would just leave it there, i wouldn't help the person but i wouldn't take it either.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
LOL obviously take the money u honestfags
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Quote by offspring_punk
I'd definitely take the money and then just put the wallet back on the ground or wherever I found it. Take better care of your stuff. You have to look out for number one in this world.

This.
The rest of you's bullshit falls far from your moral high horses. If I lost my wallet somewhere or my iPod or phone or something...I'd be genuinely surprised and very happy to get it back. 9 times out of 10, you never see shit. Teaches you to take more value over your stuff and be careful with it.
Quote by ShadesOfNight
This.
The rest of you's bullshit falls far from your moral high horses. If I lost my wallet somewhere or my iPod or phone or something...I'd be genuinely surprised and very happy to get it back. 9 times out of 10, you never see shit. Teaches you to take more value over your stuff and be careful with it.

3/3 I've gotten my lost property back...which is a rate of 100%. When you get your stuff back from people who could otherwise use it for themselves it imbues a certain sense of duty in you to return something to someone at the highest extent you can do.

I grew up pretty honest, I copped a lot of arsekickings when I lied/stole...

honestfagfolyfe.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
3/3 I've gotten my lost property back...which is a rate of 100%. When you get your stuff back from people who could otherwise use it for themselves it imbues a certain sense of duty in you to return something to someone at the highest extent you can do.

I grew up pretty honest, I copped a lot of arsekickings when I lied/stole...

honestfagfolyfe.

I guess that's environmental factors then. I've only had one thing returned in my life, and that was a wallet, and it had £80 missing from it and my college bus card which cost £180 a term. If I find something I knew belongs to someone I know, then they'll get it back. But if I were to find a wallet or phone lying in the corner of a street or somewhere...
Well I had my phone returned to me by what appeared to me as a poor family in one of the suburbs with a high rate of crime.

They looked religious though so that may have factored in well over their 'mathematical likeliness' to keep it for themselves.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Check for ID.
If no ID, take out cash and consider keeping wallet.
If ID is found, take half of the cash as a finders/transportation fee and leave it in their mailbox.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Last edited by doomded at May 13, 2011,
It's a pretty dick move to take the money in the wallet.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by SG_dave

I agree with this.
STಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 3