Whenever I pick up a guitar (by myself) I feel the crazy and obsessive need to play the most complicated solo I can come up with to display technical talent (to myself). I don't always acknowledge this feeling when I play in front of people. In fact, today I had to play this simple little song I wrote with another kid about Macbeth in front of my English class today. After we did the song, kids were all like "Jon, play a crazy solo!" and I refused. But, now that I'm at home I feel like I'm unproven. I really try to ignore this feeling, but almost every time I'm playing I feel like I have to prove myself (if it's not while I'm playing in front of people I'll get the feeling after). It's fucking terrible because my actual philosophy of music goes completely against these feelings. Anyone here ever experience things like this?
called ego, it comes with the guitar.

I personally see the guitar as an extension of my penis and playing a "crazy solo" as jizzing all over the audience.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Yeah...people get amazed by tapping...I getbored of it.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
I tend to show off...but hey, publicity can only help man.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by stratdud39

Well I dislike my ego .

You'll come to accept it, the key is humility. You may think you're hot shit but you're most likely not. Don't put yourself down, or block your ego just make sure it doesn't control you. Remind yourself that you are scum on a daily basis

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
You'll come to accept it, the key is humility. You may think you're hot shit but you're most likely not. Don't put yourself down, or block your ego just make sure it doesn't control you. Remind yourself that you are scum on a daily basis

Tapping is the best way to get all non-musicians to love you and think you're a god.

In other words: insta-get-laid
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by bluezombie
Tapping is the best way to get all non-musicians to love you and think you're a god.

I second this

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
Most welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRMY4lXGMY

That is me, as you can see I have no problem showing off :P

Heh, I should probably just stop feeling so guilty. That's really good btw.
Quote by bluezombie

I've actually noticed this.
You lie to your self. You are a shredder trapped in a wusses body. Lets face it if you really were anti showoff/shred/solo,would you do it in the first place? No! Shred it like a block of cheese and set your self free.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by obeythepenguin

And to all the metalheads on here: yes, there is such a thing as overplaying. Technical ability is being able to wank gratuitously; taste is being able to choose not to.

Recently saw and up and coming band in Swansea, i forget their name, but I was sitting beside their guitarist as he warmed up. Had some cool riffs and licks. But when it came to their gig, he played sweeps in every song. OMGZ sweeps. Sounded terrible.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Quote by obeythepenguin
You really have to force yourself to play as little as possible. It takes a lot of time and patience, but you can do it. Start with basic chords and scales, then gradually work your way up until you have just enough to fill the song -- then start deleting notes.

Recording yourself will definitely help, because you can go back and hear where you're overplaying. Using heavier strings and higher action will physically slow you down (unless maybe you're SRV). That's how my guitars are set up, though mainly I do it for easier fingerpicking.

On that note, change your technique -- play with your fingers, even play a different instrument, maybe ukulele or bass for a while. If you're persistent you'll get back up to speed in no time, but relearning the instrument like that forces you to think about everything you play and how much of it's really necessary.

And to all the metalheads on here: yes, there is such a thing as overplaying. Technical ability is being able to wank gratuitously; taste is being able to choose not to.

Yes, This.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Quote by bluezombie
Playing Hey There Delilah or Chasing Cars is the best way to get all non-musicians to love you and think you're a god.

Fixed

Non-guitarists don't give a shit about tapping.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com