Well the title says it all. How do you feel about them? Personally, if you switch between clean and distortion like me, then I would prefer separate EQ's. I really want the ENGL Fireball 100. But it has a shared EQ, so I'm always a little leery of things like that. What do you think?
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Buy an EQ for in the FX loop. That should work. EQ one channel on the amp, and the other on the pedal
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Not a fan of shared EQs at all. I don't see myself ever buying an amp with shared EQ, unless I'm filthy rich and can afford to have one amp for distortion and another for clean. I don't see that happening.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
They do limit the amp a bit, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't get good tones from all the channels. The Mesa Mark III has a shared EQ for all 3 channels, but you can still dial them in to get good tones from all 3. Plus with the graphic EQ (if it has one, it was optional on the Mark III) you can get more variety.
IMO Shared EQ's are more of a studio thing... or if you care less about your clean / low gain sounds then it doesn't really matter.

You could run like a G-major/pod/multi-fx/pedals through the clean channel and just dial in the lead channel to your liking.

The other guitarist in my band plays a fireball 60 and uses a boss GT-6 for cleans/mid gain sounds. Its bypassed on the high gain stuff and it sounds pretty decent.
/rig
My 5150 has a shared EQ. I don't really like it, I'd rather have separate EQ's. That said, like littlephil said, I can still get really good tones on the clean channel and on the lead channel.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A shared EQ doesn't matter too much if the amp is designed to sound good on multiple channels.

If not, you can always tweak the amp's circuit to get a different tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If I want to alter the EQ between channels I have an EQ out front and one in the loop all MIDI'd together. I have no problem with a shared EQ, it gives me a base point of commonality across the board that I can tweak with my other EQ's if I want to. It's no biggy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm not bothered, a good amp should sound relatively balanced anyway. To my ears atleast.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have a one channel amp. :|

But usually I'm okay with it, I can imagine if I were to use a two channel amp I'd prefer separate EQs just for variety's sake. I find that in a band situation I'm constantly tweaking my EQ, so if I had to do that twice with only one EQ, I dunno, I probably wouldn't like it.

Ideally I'd have like...a Two Rock amp for my cleans and a Carvin Legacy for my crunch and lead tones or something...but I don't have like...loads of money.
I had a fireball a while back, and the shared eq wasnt a problem at all for me. Honestly, I have my eqs set more or less the same on all 4 of my invaders channels. It's a little give and take, but if you know what you like and how to get that sound it's not a problem at all.
With my main amp (shared EQ), the first two channels are very similar; one just has a gain control and the other is fixed. Imagine an AC30 running 6L6's and you'll get close to what it sounds like. I have never wished for separate EQ between those two channels. The third channel however is very different because it kicks in two extra stages of gain (both sides of a 12AX7) and sounds similar to an old Mesa Mark. I sometimes think that a separate EQ for the third channel would be nice but I cope ok, I just adjust it with the rack. I'd much rather my amp with one EQ than a Bugera even if it had 27 EQ's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
depends on the amp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I personaly like independent EQ's but depending on the amp a shared EQ can sound as good.
Quote by SimplyBen
I've never had a problem getting a shared EQ to sound good

It it's a quality amp, you can get it to sound good. But from my experiences you can never get it to sound as good as it should. "Good" isn't good enough on a $1000+ amp. I want it to be great.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
I'd rather have an amp that does one thing very well than an amp that does 7 things really half-assed.

Shared EQ is fine. Just EQ in your clean sound and the distortion will take care of itself.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'd rather have an amp that does one thing very well than an amp that does 7 things really half-assed.

Shared EQ is fine. Just EQ in your clean sound and the distortion will take care of itself.

There are plenty that do both very well.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
I don't believe you. Never found a multi-channel amp that actually matched a single channel sonically without looking like a ****ing computer on the inside.

Except perhaps the SLO, but I don't like it's drive.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at May 14, 2011,
Yeah on a $1000+ amp, I would expect separate EQ's. I don't know why they only put one EQ on an amp anyways. The separate EQ in the FX loop does sound like a good idea. Hmm, I think ill have to try that.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."