So a few threads back my friend chriscobonham and I talked about our problem with our band, and we're breaking the band up. The bassist is an old time friend and he invited me to join his band.

It's a metalcore/scene screamo band, which is not my style, but it'd give me something to play some amount of metal in, which I would like. The band's name is Look At You, check em on facebook or youtube if you want. The guitarist and drummer are cool guys but the screamer is a pretty big douche. I dislike almost all screamo music, but I'd be one of the two guitarists, and I could bring something to the table.

What do you guys think? I'm a metal/prog fan, fav metal bands are Nevermore, Dream Theater, Metallica, stuff like that.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Wrong section but...

Play what you want to play. If you think you'll be happy then join. If you know that you won't be happy, then don't. Just remember that you won't be able to change all of their minds about the music they play so don't expect to change their genre.

Alternatively, tell them you want to do a trial phase with the band. If you like it, then commit.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Are there any other bands you could join?
Do you need to be in a band?
Is there another musical avenue you could explore?
Could you form your own band?
Could being in this band help you out?
How much does the band pay compared to others?
Would you want to expand your playing style by joining a band outside your comfort zone?
Do you want to spend your time 24/7 on metal?
Are there logistical etc. complications that make joining the band more difficult or easier than other bands?
Is this all just a plug for your band?
"It's a metalcore/scene screamo band"

No.
zapatista89 wrote:

you know the music from zelda that plays when you open a chest? that played in my head reading that headline.

Quote by Swannie
dammit we're the guitar players! why don't we have all the chicks?!
Join the band
Kick out/kill singer
Influence style
????
Profit
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I say join and just destroy the screamer mentally and emotionally then leave the band
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by BladeSlinger
Join the band
Kick out/kill singer
Influence style
????
Profit

this.

or just create 'Progcore' and be the most hated band on the planet
Thank you all, I was expecting most of these replies. As much as it'd be something to do, I'll probably just do a trial period at the most. I'd get bored going chugchugchug after 30 seconds. And I couldn't respect myself for being in a scene band.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
Thank you all, I was expecting most of these replies. As much as it'd be something to do, I'll probably just do a trial period at the most. I'd get bored going chugchugchug after 30 seconds. And I couldn't respect myself for being in a scene band.

This is why I say no.

You're just doing it because you're bored. Write and record your own stuff.
Word, goest.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Shouldve mentioned small local band. If you go to youtube and type something like 'look at you homer invasion' something will come up, not that you'll like it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Christ why do people make threads about trivial crap like this?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Join but only if they change their style.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I dunno much about bands and stuff, but IF they are having a hard time finding a guitarist you could join till they find someone who appreciates their music. It would be a win/win if it worked out. You wouldn't be bored and they would have someone to play with while they look for a guitarist?
Quote by Shinami
I dunno much about bands and stuff, but IF they are having a hard time finding a guitarist you could join till they find someone who appreciates their music. It would be a win/win if it worked out. You wouldn't be bored and they would have someone to play with while they look for a guitarist?

That's not a bad idea. They're not really actively looking, they're just open to the idea of another guitarist. Their current guitarist isn't bad, he can do sweeps, but the guitar parts for the songs they've made sound wayyy too similar. So I could help throw in a variety of riffs I didn't plan on using anyway, and help make the songs a bit more varied.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by Xiaoxi
Christ why do people make threads about trivial crap like this?

>implying lurking a guitar forum isn't a trivial activity in the first place.
I wouldn't dude. If you're not into their style, don't join just to join. I'd wait around and try and find a band that you will actually enjoy being in.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by spitonastranger
>implying lurking a guitar forum isn't a trivial activity in the first place.

Xiaxioxioxi is trivial crap himself, pay no mind.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group