Trying to record a demo for a band, and I can't seem to get a good sound out of my current mic, the EV N/D 767a. Either you get all up close and personal with it and it gets really boomy or you back up a bit and it gets really quiet, with very little middle ground. Too fussy for my beginner mic technique! So, ladies and gents (most likely gents), I come to you. What would you have this humble baritone use?
As bizarre as it sounds, the way you describe it I'd suggest something like the over-suggested SM57, as it sounds like you want a bit of gritty presence without too much low-end. Are you using a pop shield/filter? That should rid some of the boominess as it will create a barrier preventing the vocalist getting too close (obviously you position it so he can't get too much proximity effect) and if everything still fails (and probably before you try switching to another mic) try simply switching in a slow roll-off high-pass filter (say 12dB per octave or similar... no more than 24dB though) at around 120Hz and then sweep it slowly up and down 'til you retain some low end warmth but reduce the boomy proximity effect issues - you'll no doubt be cutting most of the low-end from the recorded signal when you mix anyway, as the other instruments will overpower the vocal below around 450-500Hz!

Edit: Oh, and this is probably the only time I'll ever suggest an SM57 on vocals in the studio

Edit 2: Never heard of your mic, so apologies if it is, but have you tried a large-diaphragm condenser? I'm presuming you don't have access to anything like a U87 as you'd probs be using it already, but something like the Audio Technica AT2020 or Rode NT1-A could be ideal here - the added high-end detail giving more presence and negating the need for the vocalist to get quite so close for the upfront aggressive sound.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at May 13, 2011,
Well seeing as how that's a dynamic mic, I would try out a condenser. Or you could try another dynamic, but if you do that I would recommend an sm7 over an sm57 any day for that kind of singing.

What's your budget? Normally I suggest the cheapest mics that will get a half decent sound, but if you're wanting to spend more for quality, I would love to suggest some better mics.
I suppose that I should say that it's me doing the singing, and it isn't in a studio. I'm doing this DIY because I haven't got the cash and it's just an audition tape, not a releasable recording.

That said, should I just get an SM58 considering it can be used live and you can take off the wind shield and it's basically a 57? I'm a bit cash strapped as it is, so I would want something I could use for both the audition tape, practice, and live. I don't even have a proper pop filter, I just try to stay off the mic a bit - hence my issues, I figure. Not to mention the last time I recorded I was in a bedroom with a drumset without any effects (reverb, EQ), recording thru an M-Audio Fast Track... not the best setup, admittedly. So, of course when I listened back I was less than satisfied with the result.

BTW, the 767a is a dynamic mic.
If you need it for live too, go for a 58. Leave the ball on if you're recording vocals with it. You'll need that pop filter. Also, get right up on it when you're singing.
Quote by sandyman323
If you need it for live too, go for a 58. Leave the ball on if you're recording vocals with it. You'll need that pop filter. Also, get right up on it when you're singing.

Thanks for confirming what I thought I should do. I hope this sounds good, it's apparently alot more flexible than what I already have.
I've had a fairly mixed experience with the 767a, they are nice mics but with being hypercardioid they aren't great unless you have impeccable mic technique, and even then I've found that they just sound awful on some voices!

If you want to go for a dynamic mic, I'd advise you to spend a bit more on either a Shure Beta 58 or a Beta 87a (depending on whether or not your interface will supply phantom power). The difference between either of these mics and a standard 58 is staggering, and the price difference isn't that huge really (especially used).

I recently did the recording on this page (loving is easy) with a beta 58 on the vocals - http://www.myspace.com/thisisyvette.
The sound for the video (cover of Katy on a mission) was recorded with exactly the same equipment, but the singer used a standard 58. Both were done in 1 take and the mixes were very rushed, but you can get an idea of the sort of quality you'd be looking at and compare the mics.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at May 16, 2011,
I have pretty awful technique, so I'm looking for a mic I can just wail into without having to worry too much. Thanks!
Shure KSM 44, might not want to tour with it but for a demo it would be great.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Tony Iommi Signature SG
'66 Harmony Bobkat