Hey hey!

So it's my last day on campus and I thought I'd celebrate by playing some guitar. After a few hours of faithful cooperation, my Ibanez RG3EX1 craps out and after a brief inspection, the cause of defection is identified as a solder joint came loose. I really don't want to have to solder right now, so I whipped out a recently purchased Ibanez RG350DX.

The guitar is totally not set-up. The previous owned had the tremolo blocked and the guitar tuned to drop-A with the strings about a meter off the fretboard. The intonation isn't spot-on either. I ripped out the 11-60 set that was on there and threw on some new 9-42 strings on, but that is as far as I've gone in beginning to work on it.

I know that as soon I pull out the little piece of wood blocking the tremolo I will start hating life for at least an hour. How should I go about doing this? Do I intonate first, then do the action, then do the bridge? What is the most efficient way of going about setting up this Edge III bridge from start to finish? I don't mind spending alot of time on it as long as the guitar is well set-up.

I want to get back to finishing my "Wherever I May Roam" cover as soon as possible

Thanks in advance UG,
StudiousMonkey
First get the new strings on and the trem level. Then set the neck relief and action, leave the intonation till last (neck relief and action will cause the intonation to change if you set it first)

I'd leave the trem blocked to start with (only so it can't dive), that will make it easier to get the trem level. Put the new strings on and tune up, then remove the block. It will almost definitely move, so adjust the claw until you get the trem level.

Once you've got the trem level, move on to the neck relief. The Setup thread sticky has the info you need to set the relief properly.
Quote by littlephil
First get the new strings on and the trem level. Then set the neck relief and action, leave the intonation till last (neck relief and action will cause the intonation to change if you set it first)

I'd leave the trem blocked to start with (only so it can't dive), that will make it easier to get the trem level. Put the new strings on and tune up, then remove the block. It will almost definitely move, so adjust the claw until you get the trem level.

Once you've got the trem level, move on to the neck relief. The Setup thread sticky has the info you need to set the relief properly.

Awesome! Thanks for the speedy and concise delivery.

Cheers!,
StudiousMonkey