e
B 3
G 0
D 4
A 5
E

This chord is used in Rise Against's "Swing Life Away" and in a little song I came up with. Anyone know the name for it?
Dadd11
Quote by bass94
If you do:

e
B 3
G 2
D 4
A 5
E

the cord would be a D add9

That would just be D.
its used in a third eye blind song also. it sounds nice with a C, but idk what it's called.
Quote by blue_strat
Dadd11

I'd be apt to call it Dadd11(no 5) cause I like o be as accurate as humanly possibly, but you can technically omit the fifth without changing the name.

Also, you're very, very, very, VERY rarely not going to hit that open high e

-

As the chord really needs that ninth to not sound congested (and since 95% of the time in modern music, you're strumming a C immediately before, so you're not going to refine your motion for this chord).

or, you could us this voicing:

-

ro replenish the tone of the fifith, which immediately fills the chord back up.

As the chord really needs that ninth to not sound congested (and since 95% of the time in modern music, you're strumming a C immediately before, so you're not going to refine your motion for this chord).

(this could also be a G5Maj7/D, it's highly inlikely you're using it in that sense.)
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Last edited by Spynal at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Spynal
Also, you're very, very, very, VERY rarely not going to hit that open high e

Easy. Mute the top string with your index finger.
Quote by Spynal
As the chord really needs that ninth to not sound congested

You need to add a note to stop it sounding congested?
Quote by Spynal
to replenish the tone of the fifith, which immediately fills the chord back up.

Or add a different one to fill it up?

Adding an E can make it sound more ambiguous - it could then be Em9/D.

In the context of a band you might want the guitar playing a simpler chord so it leaves room for other instruments.
Quote by blue_strat
Easy. Mute the top string with your index finger.

Not saying it's not possible, just in most contexts OP is going to use this chord (which is immediately following a C) he's going to be playing that e. I know how to not play it, I'm just saying it tends to be there

You need to add a note to stop it sounding congested?/quote]

That voicing sounds cramped, having that high e helps it a bit.

Or add a different one to fill it up?

I don't get what you're getting at. It's the fifth, it's a fundamental tone of the chord? I don't see your apprehension heree.

Adding an E can make it sound more ambiguous - it could then be Em9/D.

In some contexts yes, but again, in most cases for the OP, we're coming off a C, so having the pedalled E is natural to the ear to tie the chords together with.

In the context of a band you might want the guitar playing a simpler chord so it leaves room for other instruments.

Trust me, I understand all of this. I've been playing a good long while, and went to college for composition. We're not talking about a band context here, OP specifically cited a song for acoustic/voice from a post-hardcore band. I'm talking strictly in that context.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Pretty sure that chord does not exist in that song. They do play a Dsus4, but no C-shape D (that is, a D chord mimicking the traditional Cmaj shape). Just my two cents.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.