so my band is trying to get ourselves off the ground, and we decided that untill we get a good following were gonna do our own recordings. so were gonna need a unit to record to, either a tube preamp like the mesa recto preamp or the axefx. either unit has to be able to go stright out to headphones when not recording for silent praccy for myself because some times a 120w tube amp on 0 is still too loud :S

so itd mainly be for metal, but it needs to have versatility and good cleans. but im really leaning towards the axefx because we could also record bass tracks and possibly even vocal tracks through it. btw how would you wire up an axefx for headphone output only? and can it record vocals going from direct output into an interface/computer?

or would it just be better to buy a couple mics and an interface to record amps/vocals/drums? with the axefx and maybe with a tube preamp wed be able to record anytime without being loud
Quote by Seanthesheep
so my band is trying to get ourselves off the ground, and we decided that untill we get a good following were gonna do our own recordings. so were gonna need a unit to record to, either a tube preamp like the mesa recto preamp or the axefx. either unit has to be able to go stright out to headphones when not recording for silent praccy for myself because some times a 120w tube amp on 0 is still too loud :S

so itd mainly be for metal, but it needs to have versatility and good cleans. but im really leaning towards the axefx because we could also record bass tracks and possibly even vocal tracks through it. btw how would you wire up an axefx for headphone output only? and can it record vocals going from direct output into an interface/computer?

or would it just be better to buy a couple mics and an interface to record amps/vocals/drums? with the axefx and maybe with a tube preamp wed be able to record anytime without being loud

Post in the Recording forum and you'll get better opinions opinions

I would get an interface and amp modelling software, and use something like Superior Drummer or Beatcraft to make drums. For vocals an SM57 or 58 is a good mic to start with.

Quote by rootbeerjuice

How are the tonal properties of stop signs, anyway? They're made of aluminum, right?

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Squier Bullet Strat (For modding)
Blackstar HT-5 combo
Boss OS-2

Look at the tascam dpo2. it's less than $400 and can even burn your discs. as far as mics get 2 SM-57 and at least 1 SM-58. that,d be one of yuor best options for a stand alone unit. But if you talk to other musicians in your area I'm sure you'll run in to some one with a new"Home Studio" that will probably record you for free or a 12 pack, just to get the experiance.