Is it exactly...safe...to play a bass through a guitar combo amp? To sum it up, im really cheap and i dont want to spend the money to buy a (more) expensive bass amp...so i was checking to see if i could use this...

The guitarist in my band said it would be "hazardous" because the amp probably couldnt handle the lower frequencies that the bass would produce...and that after a while the amp would probably break...

Im wondering if it is bad...because its basically a cheap alternative to buying a legit bass amp
Congratulations! You're the 10,000,000th person to ask this question! You win a direction to READ THE FAQ and USE THE SEARCHBAR.

*reported*
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I played a bass through my Peavey Vyper 30W at max volume for like 2 hours, was worried it would blow the speakers. Then I started getting cutting in and out noises a week later. I was scared shitless. Turns out my patch cord ****ed up

I've heard it can blow the speaker part of the amp though, didn't experience it myself though.
Yea, go get a bass amp. That thing will break and you'll have to buy a new bass AND guitar amp.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Quote by consecutive e
Congratulations! You're the 10,000,000th person to ask this question! You win a direction to READ THE FAQ and USE THE SEARCHBAR.

*reported*

congratulations, you won f*ck off award

this is the first time i've ever posted in the "bass" forum, so give me a break and just answer the damn question...whats the point of posting in a forum if the people in it arnt willing to help others?

worthless
Quote by MetallicSka
I played a bass through my Peavey Vyper 30W at max volume for like 2 hours, was worried it would blow the speakers. Then I started getting cutting in and out noises a week later. I was scared shitless. Turns out my patch cord ****ed up

I've heard it can blow the speaker part of the amp though, didn't experience it myself though.

mmm...k...thanks for the help, i suppose its better to save and get a legit bass amp...or a 15' speaker
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
congratulations, you won f*ck off award

this is the first time i've ever posted in the "bass" forum, so give me a break and just answer the damn question...whats the point of posting in a forum if the people in it arnt willing to help others?

worthless

you're going to end up winning the 30 day ban award if you're not careful, methinks

and because it's your first post in the bass forum, shouldn't you look at the stickies? The rules? Try the searchbar for answers to your question first?

Why make someone else help you if you're not willing to help yourself?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
You won't have to buy a whole new amp, just 2 new speakers. With the Frontman, that could be an improvement (don't mean that to be mean, it's a simple fact that FM amps generally come with inexpensive speakers and you can do better). But it would be better if it blew out the actual amp because that's the FMs' weaker component.

If you don't want to damage the speakers, then don't do it.
if your amp has a headphone out use that and you'll be fine.

but really if this is your first time on the board read the FAQ you can't honestly think your the first guitar player to want to play bass and save money.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by gilly_90
you're going to end up winning the 30 day ban award if you're not careful, methinks

and because it's your first post in the bass forum, shouldn't you look at the stickies? The rules? Try the searchbar for answers to your question first?

Why make someone else help you if you're not willing to help yourself?

Agreed. Please have a look at the stickied threads and search, you have no idea how often this question comes up.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
You can rightly assume I am rolling my eyes .

Mod, please kick this thread to the Guitar forum where it deserves to be.
LOL
Last edited by The Vicker at May 14, 2011,