Im about to buy my first electric guitar and amp, and since ive been playing acoustic for a while now there's no need to buy a starter set so my budget for guitar/amp is 1000. The guitar i want is a gibson les paul faded studio, but im not sure about an amp yet. Im looking at a few small tube amps like the Vox AC4TV and the Fender Superchamp, but since this is just going to be a bedroom/practice amp Im not sure if tube is the way to go. Ive read that solid state amps sound better at low volumes. What do you think?
If you have a budget of 1000, you should spend about 400 on the guitar, and 600 on the amp. The amp contributes more to your overall tone then the guitar does.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
If your budget is 1000 I'd recommend getting a cheaper guitar like a Fender Strat or Tele MIM which you could easily get for 300 on craigslist giving you 700 for a nice amp. Thats just what I would do if I had to make the choice.
tube amps sound better than solid state most of the time
they just sound better turned up
for 300 bucks i can think of the bygera v22
or the vox ac4
theres a couple other more i cant remeber at the moment
edit just reread OP yeah youshould spend more moneys on the amp
like ^ have said
Last edited by supersac at May 14, 2011,
Just got the Bugera v5 and are loving it so far but ya I'd reccomend you spend more on the amp than guitar, but still get a nice guitar you like. Although for 300 I'd reccomend the v22 or a Jet City JCA2112
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
get a JCA combo and a used Gibson LP studio if you want the Gibson. However you can get some nice Epi LP's if yuor willing to go that route, and it'll save you some cash.
Despite what everyone's said I actually think that's a really good combo for a first guitar/amp. Small tube amps like that really are made for bedroom useage really.

Whereabouts in the world are you and what genre's do you play?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Despite what everyone's said I actually think that's a really good combo for a first guitar/amp. Small tube amps like that really are made for bedroom useage really.

Whereabouts in the world are you and what genre's do you play?

Well I typically find that you can't get a lot of versatility out of those small tube amps. If he finds one that suits him well and does what he wants, then by all means go for it.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I'd say go with the Super Champ XD. 15 watts tube is maybe just a tad excessive for bedroom playing, but that's what I use to practice at home. Plus it should be loud enough for casual jams when you get to that stage.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Ill be playing a lot of classic rock, stuff like Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Guns and Roses, and stuff like that. Pretty much mostly rock, nothing too heavy like metal. And i live in north carolina.
Quote by yankeefool265
Ill be playing a lot of classic rock, stuff like Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Guns and Roses, and stuff like that. Pretty much mostly rock, nothing too heavy like metal. And i live in north carolina.

So yeah, what I said would probably be nice then. Get a tele or strat MIM and then get a Fender HotRod amp.