My wife and I are hoping to take our act to some open mic stages and I am interested in some constructive feedback on our covers that we put on YouTube if you would be so kind.

Start here...
http://youtu.be/bEcEo9AlD7A

Thanks!
I think you guys are pretty good! I say go for it!
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Ps, we are using acoustic guitar and bass to cover stuff like You've Really Got a Hold on Me and Man of Constant Sorrows.
Better than most stuff I see at open mics. Lots of accoustics at open mic, though. Might want to take it up a notch with electric--I've seen audiences really appreciate the bit of variety and commitment that takes (not that it's so hard to bring an amp/pedal board). But whatever, you guys are really good.
Quote by jetwash69
Better than most stuff I see at open mics. Lots of accoustics at open mic, though. Might want to take it up a notch with electric--I've seen audiences really appreciate the bit of variety and commitment that takes (not that it's so hard to bring an amp/pedal board). But whatever, you guys are really good.

I've helped host and hung out at a lot of open mic nights. I highly advise against the electric sets unless it's the bar is dead dead. Electric guitar on its own very rarely gets people going, and setting up an entire band for two songs is not only a pain, it throws off the flow. All IMO of course, but I've never seen an audience respond well, other performers happy about waiting, or the sound guys happy about dealing with a random rigs (and you know they're not getting paid in cash to deal with it at an open mic night).
you guys sound good, much better than some of the open mics I've heard before. And I don't want to sound like typical teen, but the girl's gorgeous , alot of the time a pretty face is enough to get everyone's attention.

All around, you guys seem like you're fine, go for it
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Haha yeah it can never hurt to have a pretty and talented wife onstage with you.

And yeah right on I will prob keep it rootsy and acoustic unless it takes off or something and can go full band (I would love to do that again)
Quote by TimGregory
Haha yeah it can never hurt to have a pretty and talented wife onstage with you.

And yeah right on I will prob keep it rootsy and acoustic unless it takes off or something and can go full band (I would love to do that again)

haha yeah I didn't fully realize she was your wife until after I wrote it...I don't mean to offend. On a strictly objective base, stage presence is a huge plus so as long as you can give the crowd a show as you perform, they should enjoy it. Like mentioned an acoustic set tends to benefit everyone and it's good that you plan on keeping it that way, at least for now.

To be honest 9/10 times people who ask for feedback on their covers come off as mediocre, but the moment that your vid started, I recognized the song(I didn't recognize the name ) so that's a good sign. It was a good performance, at this point open mic should be a breeze for you

good luck

Edit: I just saw your cover of 'You Really Got a Hold of Me' and that could be a great song to perform directly to your wife. I don't know if you get what I'm saying, but it could really work out if the crowd feels your chemistry. I did just from see the video.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at May 14, 2011,
Definetly ready for an open mic bud. Great team, great tunes, great sound. Really enjoyed! Post some vids from the open mics when ya can!
My Music! Click to hear!
Gear
Lefty 2003 MIM Strat w/Lace Sensors
Lefty Ovation Celeb
Lefty Epi SG G400

Peavey Encore 65 Tube
Peavey Envoy 110 SS

Boss CS-3
Boss DD-3
Vintage DOD Flanger
MT-2 (yuck)
Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2 Loop Pedal
Dull silver Mike has some good points, so it's very situational.

If you're doing electric at a an open mic, it can help to show up early and do as much setup before getting started so all you have to do is plug and play.

Depending on the venue, you may not even need to mic your amp.

Also, you can plug a distortion or overdrive pedal right into the cable they'd use for electro accoustics.

Lots of open mics provide guitar amps, so unless you have a particular tone you go for, you might be able to get away with using theirs. And you can probably just plug an electric bass directly into the PA just like you would with an eclectro accoustic, but it wouldn't hurt to bring along a DI Box.

Electric at open mic doesn't have to be painful. Drums sure would add to the experience, but that's probably not an issue for you anyway. Drums would take a lot longer to set up (but digital drums can be pretty quick, if you're smart about it).
Well, i always associate a lot of open mics with the raw acoustic sound. If you want drums in there, look into investing in a cajon. Those things are amazing

My only suggestio on the song you posted is that you should probably check yourself with a metronome on those "solo"ish parts. Seems like you step all over yourself when you do that part. Try to smoothen it out.

As for are you ready for an open mic... I've done a lot worse
Quote by JustJeff
Well, i always associate a lot of open mics with the raw acoustic sound. If you want drums in there, look into investing in a cajon. Those things are amazing

My only suggestio on the song you posted is that you should probably check yourself with a metronome on those "solo"ish parts. Seems like you step all over yourself when you do that part. Try to smoothen it out.

As for are you ready for an open mic... I've done a lot worse

You're right. There's so much accoustic there, and that's why I see folks playing electric getting such an enthusiastic response from the crowd--even when they suck. Of course, it does all depend on a lot of factors.