If I take my guitar to a store, will I get it all intonated for a price?
If so, what is that price? I'd rather have an expert do it. I'm not a guitar tech whiz and I'm afraid I'll **** up something like my FR. I can change strings on my guitar no problem and get them in tune, but intonation seems like a royal pain. I'd rather pay an expert to make it sound good since I'd have to spend a fair amount of time just doing it right.
If you have the time: What else can they do to make sure the guitar is in top shape? Can they fix fret buzzing? What about aligning the fret markers themselves if they are slightly off by 0.5 degrees?

I've never done this before (going to a guitar tech), I've always done it myself but right now for a little while I just can't put in the time without leaving pieces everywhere and having it rot on the ground for a while; at least not until RL starts clearing up.

I have a really expensive guitar that I love to death. Is there a risk of them screwing it up? If at worst they say "sorry I dropped your guitar", will they have to replace it? I know this may seem ridiculous but I need to weigh all my options.

Constructive criticism only thanks. I figure with my insane specificness it'll attract at least some trolls.
Well this might sound crazy but you could always just call the place.

EDIT: and yes if they break your guitar they would have to pay for it unless they make you sign something that says they are not responsible in which case you should go to a different store, unless they have a crazy good reputation
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 14, 2011,
if by guitar shop, you mean chain shop. maybe not the best idea. i've gotten poor results from some, but great results from others. even day to day depending on the tech guy it can vary hugely. i agree that intonation isn't the most fun thing in the world to do, so maybe if you can find the name of a luthier, or an instrument repair shop you can ask them to set it up and ask to watch how its done. that way you can learn the tricks behind it and never have to worry about it again

(thats what i did and i'm quite happy now. i can set up all my guitars)
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Well this might sound crazy but you could always just call the place.

Yeah I should because I know that they definitely won't be sugar coating whatever they respond with just to grab a quick buck from some gullible guy, all humans are nice and none are evil and no one on planet earth would ever think of lying to someone else over money: The idea of a business being immoral to meet ends-- just preposterous!

Quote by User_Name336
if by guitar shop, you mean chain shop. maybe not the best idea. i've gotten poor results from some, but great results from others. even day to day depending on the tech guy it can vary hugely. i agree that intonation isn't the most fun thing in the world to do, so maybe if you can find the name of a luthier, or an instrument repair shop you can ask them to set it up and ask to watch how its done. that way you can learn the tricks behind it and never have to worry about it again

(thats what i did and i'm quite happy now. i can set up all my guitars)

Have you watched them do it (or know if its possible)?
How long does proper intonation (ball park time figure) take in your experience?
TY
Last edited by AtomicBirdy at May 14, 2011,
I ment call and ask them if they do intonation, and you should be able to tell the difference from them saying yes or no and a sales pitch
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 14, 2011,
If they're a professional there's usually really not much to worry about.
You said you've always done it yourself, imagine a guy who works on guitars for a living doing it. Just know what you want and be specific.

edit: and if you don't know, intonation isn't hard for someone who knows what they're doing, just a chore for a FR. Shouldn't take long to actually do it, but with guitar shops they could be backed up with work.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at May 14, 2011,
when i watched my luthier do it, i was actually getting a bridge installed... the factory one was defective on my LTD (single stripped screw so they sent a whole new bridge) and i didn't trust the store to do it. so i got my luthier to install it, as well as do a full set up, intonation, etc. you name it. the works. all together, it was under two hours of work. he's been at this for about 35+ years though... when i do it on my guitars, i take my sweet ass time, and do a string change. i sit in front of the tv and watch a movie while i'm doing it. so it takes me a good 2 -2.5 hours! but i make the most of a boring job by watching a movie at the same time like i said!
I got a full setup on my guitar when I first got it for $25 at my local guitar shop.
Well intonation should be part of a set up so ask to do that.

My local shop has a outside tech come and do their work, he does a good job and I take all my stuff to him.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
if they have any kind of set up services then yes, they should.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate