Hey guys.

My bassist is looking for an amp to gig with..so it has to be at least 300w or more. He has a budget of $1500 australian for a head and a cab.

We tryed some Ashdowns and were impressed with the tone, but not the volume, and a Hartke HA3500 that seemed to be the top contender. There are some GK's we can try out nearby too.

Any suggestions? We play Alternative to Indie and he likes a really clear tone.

Cheers
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
what cab/s is he going to use/want? That will affect the budget and the wattage output.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
D'oh! My mistake. Well, you can actually still get a top notch Carvin amp for that much and have a little bit left over for a cab (might complicated things too much though).
pinga
If you could find any used Carvin gear then I'd definitely recommend it too, but the shipping costs would be astronomical for anything new.

Keep a look out for Trace Elliott stuff as well, especially the older moldels. They're built like tanks, loud, and sound great.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Check Kosmic, you might be able to pick up some of the smaller David Eden stuff for that budget, otherwise guitar.com.au have the Marshall MB4410 for $1300, and the MB450 head for about $900, that's 450w and, personally, I love the sound of Marshall bass amps.

You can get the Laney RB9 stack from Rock Inn for less than $1500 too.

Just a couple of suggestions from another Perthian
Quote by Dan_5893
Check Kosmic, you might be able to pick up some of the smaller David Eden stuff for that budget, otherwise guitar.com.au have the Marshall MB4410 for $1300, and the MB450 head for about $900, that's 450w and, personally, I love the sound of Marshall bass amps.

You can get the Laney RB9 stack from Rock Inn for less than $1500 too.

Just a couple of suggestions from another Perthian

Thanks man, and thanks everyone else.

any other suggestions?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
If you liked the Ashdown tone but want something louder...why not get a louder Ashdown? They've made 300, 400 and 600W MAGs and the ABMs are far from quiet. But a lot of volume comes from speaker efficiency anyway. So maybe an Ashdown head and a more efficient cab?
Well, I LOVE the Ashdown ABM 500 EVO Head, and it has more than enough wattage to play small gigs. I've tried it with a Hartke VX810 cab and a ashdown 4x10 cab ( can't remember the model) and the amp sounded great with both.

That being said, I'm a Ashdown fan-boy, so you should take my opinion with a pinch of salt. Also, The GK 700RB II is a solid amp.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
These if you have to go new. The Ashdown ABM rig on there is particularly good value. Their shipping costs shouldn't murder you either.
Check here and to a lesser extent, here and of course eBay for used stuff. $1500 on the used market at the moment should get you a rig that's capable of slaying small children.
I'd reccomend a bit more than 300 watts too, but if you're spending that kind of money on something decent you'll get more than that anyway .
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Try sites like Gumtree and Perthbands and post up your budget, loads of people are selling there rigs in Perth. Could get some nice Gallien Krueger gear (perthbands) or Ashdown gear (allans music)

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
I managed to get myself a 200 watt tube head and an Australian made 8x10 cabinet for $1200 down under.
With $1500,you certainly afford something nice.
I'd probably go with the Ashdown ABM 500,I was considering one of them. Maybe go a lower wattage model and spend the money saved on a different cabinet if the ashdown quad didn't float your boat.
But for the love of god,go second hand.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.