Page 1 of 2
The Last Dandy
Only going nowhere
50 IQ
So I'm putting it here.

Let's talk about it.

Carissa's Wierd, S, Red House Painters, Early Day Miners, Low, that sort of stuff.
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands
40 IQ
Arab Strap
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
spitonastranger
Kinski Assassin
20 IQ
It gets discussed here frome time to time. There used to be a relatively active red house painters thread (relative to the amount of activity Alt/indie usually gets)

But i guess some of it ties in with pop punk/emo so that's where the confusion arises.

F*ck though man red house is genius. Down colorfull hill is an all time fave.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
Kepler and The New Year.

and if you want impossibly sad, i'm talking so sad that i can't even get through it without a real struggle, Debridement by Rivulets. a real punch in the gut.
sponj
UG Monkey
183 IQ
Red House Painters' Ocean Beach and Down Colorfull Hill are probably the best slowcore albums ever.

what the hell is sadcore though?
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
wizards?
50 IQ
Low is the shit. The new album was fantastic, and I'm hopefully going to be seeing them live this year. I love having them as a "local" band.

Also, has anyone heard any of Jenn Ghetto's solo stuff, aka, "S"?
Cianyx
UG Nerd
90 IQ
Yeah, I heard S. Didn't enjoy it like I did with Carissa's Wierd.

Gonna have to back Down Colorful Hill as the best slowcore album. Medicine Bottle is just that damn depressing
phoenix_crush
Former Registered User
60 IQ
I've only heard Low, but unless the other bands are very different, there is nothing "-core" about them.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
i do believe that it is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek term.
Quote by wizards?
Low is the shit. The new album was fantastic, and I'm hopefully going to be seeing them live this year. I love having them as a "local" band.

i've only got Sadstyle and from what i remember it was pretty good, but it has been a while. i'm going to give it a listen now and i'll report back.

has everyone but me heard the latest Low album? i'm not sure if i want to get it right now because i'm pretty sure that i won't be listening to it much until fall rolls around.
wizards?
50 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?

i've only got Sadstyle and from what i remember it was pretty good, but it has been a while. i'm going to give it a listen now and i'll report back.

has everyone but me heard the latest Low album? i'm not sure if i want to get it right now because i'm pretty sure that i won't be listening to it much until fall rolls around.

You need to get it ASAP. It goes in a slightly different direction than their previous albums, there's almost sort of an ambient vibe in a few songs, but it's absolutely fantastic.
stepco12345
Banned
140 IQ
Quote by Joshua1207
Also, Cat Power is amazing.

Eh. While I do enjoy Cat Power, I can't take too much of her at once.

Quote by uhh_me?
Kepler and The New Year.

and if you want impossibly sad, i'm talking so sad that i can't even get through it without a real struggle, Debridement by Rivulets. a real punch in the gut.

Have heard many good things about that band. Streamed a couple songs up on Grooveshark and they definitely tickle my fancy.

And I have "You Are My Home" by Rivulets and absolutely love it. So it sounds like I must get Debridement now.

Quote by wizards?

S is bloody fantastic. I love love love her latest album. Like S just as much as Carissa's Wierd.

Quote by uhh_me?

I have listened to it. Not exactly the greatest stuff, but still rather enjoyable.
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
80 IQ
low are probably the only band that fall under the title that i listen to pretty consistently. saw them a few weeks ago! it was lovely.

i've been listening to duster a lot recently. probably worth a look for anyone who hasn't listened to them before.

never really understood why s and carissa's wierd are thought of so highly...
wizards?
50 IQ
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx

never really understood why s and carissa's wierd are thought of so highly...

Have you sat down and listened to Songs About Leaving all the way through? If you haven't I'd suggest trying it. If you have, it's cool. Different strokes and all that jazz.

Just found out there's a chance I might be moving up to Duluth in the fall, so the chances of me seeing Low live have basically skyrocketed.
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.
120 IQ
Songs About Leaving appreciation post number five jillion.

I don't listen to much slowcore, but Carissa's Wierd is a wonderful, wonderful band.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?

REPORTING BACK: oh man, way better than i remember. shoot. great atmosphere to the whole thing and then there are these moments where things just hit. also that bit in "Lemonade Sweetheart".
Quote by stepco12345
Have heard many good things about that band. Streamed a couple songs up on Grooveshark and they definitely tickle my fancy.

And I have "You Are My Home" by Rivulets and absolutely love it. So it sounds like I must get Debridement now.

1. awesome. all three of their albums are really great. the s/t is probably their weakest though.

2. be careful with it. a dangerous one.

and while sort of on The New Year, Bedhead. so good. What Fun Life Was just engulfs you. swoon.

and and since this post is already pretty long, i'm going to make it longer. brief thoughts on Carissa's Wierd are i like them. some songs are just spectacular, but i find myself getting less and less tolerant of the dude's voice. it strikes me as being much too Bright Eyes-y for me at this point in time.
afterthewar
Team Wallace
187 IQ
I like Codeine a lot, but I always get the feeling when listening to their stuff that it would sound better if it wasn't so...well slow. And besides Codeine, and Red House Painters, I barely listen to slow core, so you can go ahead and disregard my comment.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Skinny91
Object-beater
110 IQ
Quite glad I clicked on this thread, a, downloading Escape the Day's Ghostless right now and wanted to buy Songs About Leaving, but very expensive for a physical copy

Is there any other similar bands I should be checking out?
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
Quote by Skinny91
Quite glad I clicked on this thread, a, downloading Escape the Day's Ghostless right now and wanted to buy Songs About Leaving, but very expensive for a physical copy

didn't they just reissue all of the Carissa's Wierd albums last year?

does anyone know of any really country influenced slowcore bands? i want something with fiddles and pedal steel and all that twang.
steve_muse
beating a dead forum
30 IQ
I like Low. I've only heard Things We Lost in the Fire but it's great.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
wizards?
50 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?
didn't they just reissue all of the Carissa's Wierd albums last year?

Jenn Ghetto and Mat Brooke bought back the rights to the Carissa's Wierd catalog last year so reissues are supposedly on the way, but who knows when that will be.
Monkeygone2hvn
10 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?

does anyone know of any really country influenced slowcore bands? i want something with fiddles and pedal steel and all that twang.

you should check out the low/dirty 3 in the fish tank collaboration, it's beautiful. They even cover neil young on it.

check out the album closer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKzq-D4vIKw

edit:
while on the subject of slowcore, I'm not sure really where the line of slowcore ends and other genres begin but some of my favorites artists that I think fit into the genre are low, red house painters, cat power, dirty three, ida, smog, bonnie "prince" billie, etc...
Last edited by Monkeygone2hvn at Jun 16, 2011,
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
Quote by wizards?
Jenn Ghetto and Mat Brooke bought back the rights to the Carissa's Wierd catalog last year so reissues are supposedly on the way, but who knows when that will be.

maybe you are talking CD and i am talking LP, because you can by all of em new from Hardly Art.
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn
you should check out the low/dirty 3 in the fish tank collaboration, it's beautiful. They even cover neil young on it.

i've been meaning to get that for such a long time, but haven't. you've sold me with that video. it will be in the next order i place, hopefully along with the new Gillian Welch album.
stepco12345
Banned
140 IQ
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn

edit:
while on the subject of slowcore, I'm not sure really where the line of slowcore ends and other genres begin but some of my favorites artists that I think fit into the genre are low, red house painters, cat power, dirty three, ida, smog, bonnie "prince" billie, etc...

I loooooooove Ida. And yeah, it is a bit difficult sometimes to determine whether or not a band is "slowcore". Doesn't bother me too much though if the music is good.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
Quote by blake1221
Can you guys compile a list in youtube links for your favorite songs please?

i'm working on it for ya.

what do you know coming in so i can avoid those things?
wizards?
50 IQ
Quote by blake1221
Can you guys compile a list in youtube links for your favorite songs please?

Since I can't sleep, I'll post a few of my favorites.

Low- Lust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgzczgn4ezo

Red House Painters- Have You Forgotten(Electric Arrangement)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_PBDleYec

S- Sometimes I feel Like Throwing Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZx_Iwy8vWM

Pedro the Lion- Bad Diary Days
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_BTqZxKjw

Cat Power- The Greatest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDsxkQk6DWw

Carissa's Wierd- So You Wanna Be a Superhero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7zHZrcHdxg

Carissa's Wierd- Ignorant Piece of Shit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdl6V5otgoY

Carissa's Wierd- Heather Rhodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8LUxp0nV34

Carissa's Wierd- They'll Only Miss You When You Leave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6YXjLtiyEI

I really like Carissa's Wierd
Last edited by wizards? at Jul 2, 2011,
blake1221
‭‭
164 IQ
Sorry it took me so long to get back, but uhhh me?, I'm a complete noob to this stuff, I've just heard a bit of Carissa's Weird and liked it.

Thank you wizards?

Both of you have inquisitive user names.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
371 IQ
a brief linklist of stuff not on wizards? list.

Codeine - Vacancy

Bluetile Lounge - Ambered

Bedhead - Roman Candle

Duster - Cooking

Kepler - Our Little Museum

i love Kepler so much. i would have posted the one other track i could find from Missionless Days, but it is the last track on the album and a lot of its punch comes from the album format. so, uh, find the album and listen that way.

oh, and if you are into post-rock, give Early Day Miners a chance. Placer Found is pretty good. i don't love it, but a lot of people think of it very highly.
wizards?
50 IQ
^Placer Found is the shit. It's like The Appleseed Cast meets Everything is Made in China meets Low which are three of my favorite bands. The rest of their albums have their good parts, but Placer Found is just awesome.
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus
181 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?
new Carissa's Wierd track: http://soundcloud.com/hardlyartrecords/carissas-wierd-meredith-iris

hopefully this isn't just a one-off single and they have more on the way.

Man they're playing in Seattle in a month and its a ****ing 21+ show
Page 1 of 2