When I perform my vibrato I do a Circular style and occasionally the up and down style.
However when I bend up on the thin strings or down on the thick strings my fingers catch the other strings on the way up/down. Sometimes it causes the strings to ring out a bit which gives an unwanted noise that im trying to get rid of.
I try to use my right palm to block the strings from ringing out during my vibrato but sometimes I end up muting the string that should be playing in the process.

Am I on the right track on getting over this problem or is there something that I'm missing? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Last edited by MusicsMyHero at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Freepower
If you're doing vibrato involving string bends then you can use your index finger as a sort of barre across the strings to kill all noise.

Thanks for the reply!

What if by some chance my index finger is the one doing the bend though? I could only mute the strings that are below my index finger which would be the ones below it.
When thats the case do I just use my palm in my right hand to mute the strings above the string?
Quote by MusicsMyHero
Thanks for the reply!

What if by some chance my index finger is the one doing the bend though? I could only mute the strings that are below my index finger which would be the ones below it.
When thats the case do I just use my palm in my right hand to mute the strings above the string?

Only the tip of the finger should be touching the string on which you apply the vibrato.
With that, you can mute the higher strings (counting E as higher, e as lower) with your index finger, doing a sort of arc with it, muting them. For the lower strings, you'd better mute them with the palm of your hand. You could try muting them with your thumb, but I'd guess it's harder.
Quote by MusicsMyHero
Thanks for the reply!

You should always be using the palm to mute lower strings - see this - www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc