i play 12-string. there are loads of people who also use 12-string electrics, but very few who use them exclusively.

but i really can't see myself playing one of those. if it had P-90s or mini-humbuckers maybe, but i don't like full-size humbuckers on 12-strings. they just don't bring out the sound of the extra strings enough for my liking. the EDS-1275 or whatever its called is a decent compromise for switching between 6-string and 12-string but an SG that's just a single neck 12-string imo is a pretty lousy 12-string.

i love SGs but i just can't see them working well for me as a 12-string, basically. and the way they are marketing it as "from the west coast to the british invasion" is a bit misleading too. the classic 'british invasion' 12-string chime came from rickenbackers, the west coast folk-rock movement caught on to that and is also associated with rickenbackers - naturally an SG isn't going to sound anything like that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Pac_man0123
As far as I know, this SG won't be any different in shape and size...

The headstock is double normal size.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I don't really see the point unless your in a band with 2 guitarists or your playing a song with no solos. It's a lot of money to spend out on a guitar that's going to limit your playing. 12 string acoustics, now that's a different matter.
Last edited by Delboyuk_01 at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
i play 12-string. there are loads of people who also use 12-string electrics, but very few who use them exclusively.

that was my point i cant see how you would limit yourself to that 12 string only. i'd rather get the/a double necked version than.
Quote by wolvenrick
that was my point i cant see how you would limit yourself to that 12 string only. i'd rather get the/a double necked version than.

well i dunno. double necks are only useful if you need to switch between 6 and 12 string mid-song, really.

edit: actually no, forget that. i forgot about the cool sympathetic drone things you can do with a double neck

but how is a 12-string going to limit your playing? i'd say it adds to your creative potential - it's a different instrument with a different tone and a different way of playing it. it's all about what you can do with the instrument you play at the end of the day.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Delboyuk_01
It is really hard playing lead on a 12 string, so in theory it does limit your playing. On the other hand there are things that sound better on a 12 than a 6 string. Slide guitar is amazing on a 12 string.

it's really hard to play 6-string style lead on a 12-string, so you've got to think outside the box and play it differently. it's only a limitation if you're going to let it be a limitation.

Quote by Delboyuk_01
Exactly what I was saying

ok, fair enough

but you did say "It's a lot of money to spend out on a guitar that's going to limit your playing" at first

Quote by Blompcube
ok, fair enough

but you did say "It's a lot of money to spend out on a guitar that's going to limit your playing" at first

Yes I did, I would imagine as with myself that if you played in a band, most people wouldn't be able to use this guitar throughout a whole set unless there were 2 guitarists in the band and the type of music fitted.
I use my double neck for a couple of songs we play in my band, but I need the 6 string for the solo work, it just wouldn't sound the same on the 12 string, also the songs I don't use it for wouldn't sound right on the 12 string.
I'm not saying you can't solo with a 12 string, I'm just looking at it from a practical point of view. I probably play my 12 string acoustic more than any other guitar I own when I'm at home, but it never leaves my house.
Quote by Delboyuk_01
Yes I did, I would imagine as with myself that if you played in a band, most people wouldn't be able to use this guitar throughout a whole set unless there were 2 guitarists in the band and the type of music fitted.
I use my double neck for a couple of songs we play in my band, but I need the 6 string for the solo work, it just wouldn't sound the same on the 12 string, also the songs I don't use it for wouldn't sound right on the 12 string.
I'm not saying you can't solo with a 12 string, I'm just looking at it from a practical point of view. I probably play my 12 string acoustic more than any other guitar I own when I'm at home, but it never leaves my house.

i don't see how taking a 6 string and a 12-string to a gig is less practical than taking a 6 string and a double neck, though, if that's what you need

Quote by Delboyuk_01
Not very practical if you need them both for 1 song though

well, unless you've got an A/B switch and one of those stands that holds a guitar in a playable position. i've seen guys use them to switch between acoustic and electric guitar

Quote by Blompcube
well, unless you've got an A/B switch and one of those stands that holds a guitar in a playable position. i've seen guys use them to switch between acoustic and electric guitar

Alex Lifeson uses one for closer to the heart. But then he also uses a Double neck as well.
I suspect this one is being marketed to collectors. There's nothing in the specs to suggest that the body has been enlarged or weighted to counterbalance the massive headstock. It certainly looks cool, but I wouldn't even consider buying a guitar with a body that small and such a massive headstock.
I had a 12-string gibson sg before. It was actually a 1969 Melody Maker 12.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
That could be fun
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)