Thrash metal/Heavy metal just for bedroom use, and mabue a band. Not sure though. But definitely bedroom use.
Hey there, l think l've found a great amp, which costs less than 150 british quid and sure as hell is as versatile as one so cheap can get! It's called Fender Mustang I (as in one), costs around a £100 and is suitable for anything. You even get an usb cable with it and can do so much shit you cant even imagine. Google it, you wont be sorry
Line6 spider 3 \m/
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Look into a Peavey Vypyr or Vox VT+ (haven't tried the current VT+ models, but earlier versions were nice, so the new ones should be worth a try, too).
You have received alot of mentions for the Fender Mustang. I got the Mustang iii today. It is well over your price range but I demo'd the i and ii while at GC. The iii and i are similar except the iii has alot more editing potential.

Anyway, if you were thinking about a peavy or line 6, forget it. The mustang has set a new standard. Even though it is a solid state, the iii feels like a tube at times. Sorry to say that the i and ii don't share that characteristic but they are amazing. I have a Boss Ds for my old amp and realized that the effects/pedals built in are alot better.

Is it any wonder most stores are sold out of these (I got the last Mustang iii at GC, they sold out in 3 days after their first order). The only other competitor might be the VOX but that only because I have never played one.