Hi guys, I've just joined this site to get some advice on buying my first guitar. I have 0 experience so I'm not looking to spend a fortune just now but I also don't want to end up with a dud.

I've been looking at the Epiphone Gothic G400 SG, and the Ibanez GRX 70 (It's in a starter pack).

Are any of these two guitars good or is there anything else you can recommend for around £200?

I'm into Heavy Metal and Rock so that's the sort of sound I'm looking for.

Cheers for any help guys.
for beginners, get the starter pack, it'll have everything you need until you become better. when you become better, all you need to do is either, upgrade them, or purchase new gear(better).
Getting a starterpack is a good idea. They're usually a lot cheaper than buying all the items in them separately.
Do note, though, that the GRX has a bridge that's not exactly known for its tuning stability. At least it's not double-locking, though, so tuning them won't be much of a hassle.

I don't really like the Epiphone SGs, the overall build quality is just... not very nice. I've seen ones with the necks glued in crooked, among other things...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I have a G400 in worn brown and it is a great guitar after I swaped pickups. It is my main guitar right now and I own a few very $$$ guitars. But like said the starter pack is a great way to get off the ground and the epi pack the guitar will not as esily be "out grown" like the Ibanez.
You mean the GRX70DXJ pack?

The stock amplifier will be awful
I say you ditch the stock amp and get yourself a Roland Cube 15XL. I dunno what style you play, but that thing is very versatile. You only have to save up about £70.

Stay away from the Epi. I say you get the Ibanez.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
You mean the GRX70DXJ pack?

The stock amplifier will be awful
I say you ditch the stock amp and get yourself a Roland Cube 15XL. I dunno what style you play, but that thing is very versatile. You only have to save up about £70.

Stay away from the Epi. I say you get the Ibanez.

This man speaks the truth, but only 80% of it.

The stock amp in any starterpack will be useable for the first few months, while your musical ear is still developing. During that time you'll want to save up for something much better, like that Roland Cube.
Roland Cubes are definitely a good place to start. Starter packs are usually too cheap.
I'd say get an Ibanez and a Roland Cube, it'll last for a long time.
Quote by PsiGuy60
This man speaks the truth, but only 80% of it.

The stock amp in any starterpack will be useable for the first few months, while your musical ear is still developing. During that time you'll want to save up for something much better, like that Roland Cube.

I disagree, all the ones I've ever used sounded like utter garbage and weren't fooling anyone. If you want to play electric guitar and have ever listened to recorded music they won't suffice - better to skip them altogether.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MF From Hell
Hi guys, I've just joined this site to get some advice on buying my first guitar. I have 0 experience so I'm not looking to spend a fortune just now but I also don't want to end up with a dud.

I don't think guitar works like an RPG

I agree with mark/steven seagull... starter packs are just generally a bad idea. Sure, you have to buy all the stuff yourself, but you actually get to choose (which is a good thing). For only slightly more, you get something which is way better.

hard to beat a yamaha pacifica 112v and a roland cube 30x (or maybe a peavey vypyr if you can't stretch to the cube 30... i haven't tried the vypyr though so that's not a recommendation).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
I disagree, all the ones I've ever used sounded like utter garbage and weren't fooling anyone. If you want to play electric guitar and have ever listened to recorded music they won't suffice - better to skip them altogether.

Were the chords distinguishable as being chords, and not just noise?
If yes, my point still stands. They're usable, I never said they sounded good.

If TS opts to go for the starterpack, the next thing to do would be to save up for and subsequently buy a good, reliable amp, throwing the old one in the trash if at all possible. In the meantime, you can use the original amp. Just don't expect it to sound like anything you hear on a record, and don't be disappointed if it sounds like crap - starterpack amps are generally meant to be replaced quickly.

No offense or stupidity meant, of course.

PS. When I first bought a starter pack (Cort if I recall correctly) I thought at the time it sounded quite decent. Sure, it wasn't my Peavey-with-Celestion and I wouldn't go back if I was offered a billion dollars, but at the time it did what it had to do - make a clearish note out of a barely audible one. I never touched the distortion for the time I had it, though.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc

hard to beat a yamaha pacifica 112v and a roland cube 30x (or maybe a peavey vypyr if you can't stretch to the cube 30... i haven't tried the vypyr though so that's not a recommendation).

+1

I started ona 112v and 4 years along i still get it out from time to time

Also check out the Vox VT+ range, i have one and i love it.
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

I'd suggest you buy your guitar and amp separately. Do some research in your price range and read the reviews.

Agile from Rondo Music are a good bet for a guitar. For an amp there's a lot of $100 amps that are quite decent. Fender Mustang, Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cube are a good bet.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by PsiGuy60
Were the chords distinguishable as being chords, and not just noise?
If yes, my point still stands. They're usable, I never said they sounded good.

If TS opts to go for the starterpack, the next thing to do would be to save up for and subsequently buy a good, reliable amp, throwing the old one in the trash if at all possible. In the meantime, you can use the original amp. Just don't expect it to sound like anything you hear on a record, and don't be disappointed if it sounds like crap - starterpack amps are generally meant to be replaced quickly.

No offense or stupidity meant, of course.

PS. When I first bought a starter pack (Cort if I recall correctly) I thought at the time it sounded quite decent. Sure, it wasn't my Peavey-with-Celestion and I wouldn't go back if I was offered a billion dollars, but at the time it did what it had to do - make a clearish note out of a barely audible one. I never touched the distortion for the time I had it, though.

Those amps are fine if somebody doesn't know any better ie parents buying a guitar for little Johhny who's been pestering them all year.

TS does know better though, on account of asking here, that being the case he can save himself the minor inconvenience of paying out for a crappy fartbox with no resale value that he'll want shot of in no time Personally I can't think of a better starter amp thatn the Roland Microcube, a few sounds that are all more than good enough given the size of the amp, a couple of effects but dead simple to use and also runs on batteries so it's worth keeping for busking and barbecues when you buy something bigger.

I've never heard a more soul-destroying sound than a Squier Stratocaster being played through a BB Blaster...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
why would you barbecue your amp? does it have a bugera amp model?

Seriously, though, I agree 100%, Mark. I really don't understand this "it's perfectly acceptable" or "it'll work" logic. When I'm buying stuff I want it to be the absolute best stuff available for the money. Not merely satisfactory, or "will work at a pinch". As such I afford the threadstarters the same courtesy- I try to find them the absolute best kit available for their budget. They've already done the right thing by coming here for advice- they don't have to put up with crap because we've advised them what the crap is and to avoid it. That's the whole point of forums.

I bought stupid stuff when I was starting out. The internet was a lot newer then and I wasn't really familiar with forums.

Does that mean I think starting out on crap is some weird masochistic rite of passage for all new guitarists?

Fuck no. Had I known about UG when I started playing (had it existed, lol), I'd have been hitting up these forums like there was no tomorrow, getting the best advice I could get and buying the absolute best kit I could. If anything, when you're new, you want as good kit as you can get so nothing stands in the way of your improving as quickly as possible, and so you have no excuse to give up.

Anyone who actually is advising he buy crap, can you please give me some examples from your life where you bought crap when you actually knew it was crap, and when you could afford something which was better than crap?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 14, 2011,
Quote by steven seagull
Those amps are fine if somebody doesn't know any better ie parents buying a guitar for little Johhny who's been pestering them all year.

TS does know better though, on account of asking here, that being the case he can save himself the minor inconvenience of paying out for a crappy fartbox with no resale value that he'll want shot of in no time Personally I can't think of a better starter amp thatn the Roland Microcube, a few sounds that are all more than good enough given the size of the amp, a couple of effects but dead simple to use and also runs on batteries so it's worth keeping for busking and barbecues when you buy something bigger.

I've never heard a more soul-destroying sound than a Squier Stratocaster being played through a BB Blaster...

I disagree with the parts I made fat.
1. Because you should never bring an electric to a barbecue. All the songs you'll be liked for will work much better on an acoustic as far as I know.

2. Obviously, you've never heard a Cort G110 played through a Frontman, with a dying overdrive pedal. Worst sound I ever got out of it, it still gives me nightmares.

PS. Some guitar stores will allow you to make your own starter set at a discount. Those ARE a good option since you can choose the guitar and amp. You'd have to know what you're getting though.

PPS. I think the Ibanez mentioned in the OP is available without the amp, upon further Ibanez website research. If so, go for that. It is a good guitar for a beginner.
Quote by PsiGuy60

PS. Some guitar stores will allow you to make your own starter set at a discount. Those ARE a good option since you can choose the guitar and amp. You'd have to know what you're getting though.

yep that would be the best of both worlds if you can find a local store that does that- you get the choice plus the discount (and probably a bunch of those other accessories thrown in which don't cost much on their own but which add up when you have to buy them all yourself ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love my ESP LTD EC-50. Sounds great and is rather cheap, but of good quality. I'd take a look at the LTD 50 series stuff and a Roland Cube
The thing is if you buy a decent practice modelling amp like a cube 30 straight off the bat and you continue playing and get into tube gear etc you'll still have a decent practice amp for low volume practice..
agreed.

I mean i'm sorta half thinking of picking up a vox mini3 or something like that so i can play when everyone else is in bed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Forget Agiles, your budget is in english pounds leading me (but not the gile recommender) to realize you're in the UK where Agiles would cost too much.
Starter pack guitars are generally pretty bad, you may find one that actually plays OK but it would entirely by luck & the amps are sh*t. I side with the "buy separately, obviously guitar first and if you have to, wait a couple of weeks (saving money up) and try to get a better amp than the $50 ones supplied with a SP. Here in North America you'd need to spend close to $300 for a guitar that will (once set up) stay in tune and have decent playability. Then you're looking at >$150 for an amp. Not sure what this would equate in Eng pounds. You probably want 15W solid State as a minimum, modelling preferrably with some built in effects and a 10 inch speaker. That'll give you what you need till your budget and playing ability leads you to start stepping up to a tube amp most likely, with separate pedals and better guitar. The resale on what I'm describing (to fund your improvements later) would be better than a SP too. Thiose are worth next to nothing used so the money is wasted.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at May 15, 2011,
Thanks for all of your replies everyone, they've been very helpfull. I'm thinking the best course of action is to get a Guitar n Amp seperate. I'll look into various Guitars first for around the £200 mark, and will then get an amp later.

Will obviously take me longer to get my set-up the way I want it but I think being patient will be worth it in the end.

Thanks again for all of your advice, cheers.
Quote by MF From Hell
Thanks for all of your replies everyone, they've been very helpfull. I'm thinking the best course of action is to get a Guitar n Amp seperate. I'll look into various Guitars first for around the £200 mark, and will then get an amp later.

Will obviously take me longer to get my set-up the way I want it but I think being patient will be worth it in the end.

Your very welcome.

I would just like to say that I own an Ibanez RG [RG120 - one of the lower end models that isn't a Gio] and a Roland Cube 15X. I say that is a great combination.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by MF From Hell

Now you're talking. No need to rush into this. Do some research and weigh things heavily and you'll end up with the best of the lot in your price range. It can be done cause I've done it. Back in 97 when I picked up guitar playing again I got an Epi tele for $199 and a crate 15 watt amp for $69. That was quite a good set to begin again. Later I picked up a cheap multiFX (Zoom G1) for $49 and I was covered for a long time.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by jlazor1
don't get a epi. at all cost

Can you back that statement up? It's worthless otherwise.
Not that I disagree if you mean the cheapest of the cheap Epiphones. They will not stay in tune for longer than 5 minutes of playing, and generally feel like dung in your hands.

Epiphones above 400 dollars (300 or so pounds) are great guitars, though.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 16, 2011,
Quote by PsiGuy60
Can you back that statement up? It's worthless otherwise.
Not that I disagree if you mean the cheapest of the cheap Epiphones. They will not stay in tune for longer than 5 minutes of playing, and generally feel like dung in your hands.

Epiphones above 400 dollars (300 or so pounds) are great guitars, though.

i doubt he has anything to back it up. he was probably just being an idiot. however, i'll put something forward to sort of back it up:

in the UK vintage cost a bit less and are very similar - about the same build quality as epiphone, but they are fitted with wilkinson hardware and pickups. they should be just as good, if not a little better, than an "equivalent" epiphone, for a little less money.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
This may be a bit late but definitely get a chromatic tuner. NOW. It makes all the difference in the world from the sad excuses for tuners that come with starter packs. And do buy good cables, those you won't need to replace, so buy good one so that you don't have to buy double.
What is mind? no matter. What is matter? Never mind.
Quote by Blompcube
i doubt he has anything to back it up. he was probably just being an idiot. however, i'll put something forward to sort of back it up:

in the UK vintage cost a bit less and are very similar - about the same build quality as epiphone, but they are fitted with wilkinson hardware and pickups. they should be just as good, if not a little better, than an "equivalent" epiphone, for a little less money.

I've played a Vintage strat copy and didn't really like it, but then again it may have been a dud.
The les paul models are good though.
Okay, I've had some time to look around and I'm now considering the Ibanez GRG121. I've read plenty of positive reviews and many have said it's ideal for playing Metal and Heavy Rock which is ideal for me. And it's only £180.

So has anyone had any first hand experience with one of these?

Opinions appreciated like always, cheers.