I have a Blackstar HT-5 which, for the most part, satisfies my needs. But sometimes I wish I can cut back on the treble, without making my tone sound muddy. Usually I place a pillow or blanket in front of my amp, but I was just wondering if it would be foolish to remove the speaker, place something behind the grill, and replace the speaker. Nothing too thick, just maybe a cloth or paper plate.

Can anyone help me on this?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I have done this with loud speakers, but never a guitar cab. It should work but if it doesn't just remove the dampining material.
acoustic foam
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
The EQ and tone knob is fine, but I can never get a nice equilibrium. Don't get me wrong, using the volume and tone knob is a big part of my playing, and it still will be, but getting a little more of a muffled sound would be great

What exactly is acoustic foam, and how does it differ from regular foam?

He will be missed.
^ Yes, and I've looked around for things like that, but I'd rather keep it very... do-it-yourself, using household items and such.

He will be missed.
^Stick a CD onto the front of your amp.

It'll do the same thing really. I wouldnt advise putting some cloth in front of the speaker, you'll lose far too much clarity IMO.
^ A CD? Should I place it on the grill or the speaker itself? Have you ever done it?

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
^ A CD? Should I place it on the grill or the speaker itself? Have you ever done it?

I wouldn't attach anything to something that constantly vibrates, there's all kinds of imminent buzzing and flopping around the corner.

Perhaps there's a cloth or foam that you could give the Swiss cheese treatment to?
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by larrytheguitar

THe grill, i dont need to, since the orange 112 has the logo in the right place.
i did it back when i used to play on a really crappy practice amp, it made the tone more bearable
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Jazz Funeral
I wouldn't attach anything to something that constantly vibrates, there's all kinds of imminent buzzing and flopping around the corner.

Perhaps there's a cloth or foam that you could give the Swiss cheese treatment to?

Dammit, I should have read before doing it. It never occured to me about the speaker's vibrations. *Flick of the wrist* Too lazy to fix it now. I'll do it later

He will be missed.
Put some gaffers tape on the grill in front of the center of the speaker. If you don't want to see it, put it on the inside (assuming the grill cloth is black and you can't really see through it.
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance