I'm a guitarist first and a singer by necessity. Within the last year or so I feel my singing has gotten a lot better but I got put to shame the other day when I played with this chick who sounded like a pro and has a ton more range than me. I can hit lower octaves very well and I think I sound pretty good with them but when I play and sing in that register I feel like my singing blends too much with the guitar and gets lost. I can sometimes hit notes in the higher octaves but not consistently enough to want to sing that way all the time. What steps can I take to develop my higher range?

An example of what I'm talking about is John Mayer's Dreaming With a Broken Heart. I can sing that perfectly on pitch when it's low but I feel it sounds a lot better higher, however when I do that there are some very high notes I hit on and off such as "giving up".
Practice the 'howl'

Hit a high note and then glissando down, in falsetto register.

Also practice your falsetto, try to make it loud. Take deep breaths it will help.

Next is two things. Work on your transition area between falsetto and chest voice. Also work on making your falsetto tone match your chest voice.
Or it may simply be that you are trying to sing beyond a range that your voice is suited. Your first step is to determine where your range is. Then you need to figure out what notes you're having trouble hitting.

Sure, you might be able to hit the note in falsetto, but do you WANT to use falsetto for that note?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by corrda00
Practice the 'howl'

Hit a high note and then glissando down, in falsetto register.

Also practice your falsetto, try to make it loud. Take deep breaths it will help.

Next is two things. Work on your transition area between falsetto and chest voice. Also work on making your falsetto tone match your chest voice.

Could you elaborate on how to make the falsetto tone match the chest voice? I do work on blending my chest and head voice together with howl/siren exercises, but my falsetto still sounds like falsetto and my chest sounds like chest