I received a package yesterday… after getting rid of layers after layers of cardboard and protective air-bags I found a case. (A very nice looking case!) Inside that case I found a guitar. It was my new Yamaha SG2000 that had arrived and that I had eagerly awaited for the whole week.

Yamaha states it to be the ultimate solid-body electric guitar. After playing mine for a couple of hours, I believe that this statement may contain a bit of truth…
First of all, it is not a Gibson SG-copy – it is more like a double cut-away Les Paul, with mahogany body and a carved maple top. But Yamaha didn’t just want to copy Gibson’s design; they wanted to make a better guitar.

The Yamaha SG2000 has a three-piece laminated neck with a maple centerpiece that goes through the whole guitar, and mahogany sides. It has a solid brass block under the bridge that is a Yamaha invention, dubbed a “sustain block” and that is supposed to transfer more of the vibrations to the body and increase sustain. The ebony fretboard has a quite flat radius, and the neck profile is close to a Gibson 50’s (thick and rounded). It also has push/pull coil taps on the tone controls on both of its Yamaha humbuckers - which seems to be excellent pickups, with Yamaha-designed plastic covers that protect the windings from dirt, but without interfering with the sound like a metal-cover is said to do.

Weight-wise it is a very heavy guitar, but it doesn’t feel uncomfortable as it is perfectly balanced. The build quality is outstanding, and I can’t find a single thing to complain about.

The tone is a lot brighter than a Les Paul, which I feel is something very positive - it doesn't get muddy which I feel is my biggest complaint on the LP. It arrived with an excellent setup with the lowest action I've seen and not a tiny bit of fret buzz.

So, did Yamaha succeed in building the ultimate electric guitar? Personally, I believe that in many ways – they did. Of course, a guitar can’t be a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul at the same time – but if I could only have one guitar; the Yamaha SG2000 is the one.

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at May 14, 2011,
Mother of god. That is a beauty. I'm sure it was worth every penny.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Looks very nice! I really like the look on that bridge!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

very nice, they're meant to be great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sexy, my uncles got one of them, he's also got an SG200 and SG700 and tbh my preference is the 700, might just be his though, i just cant get used to the 2000, don't get me wrong its a top quality guitar, it's just one of them things of personal preference

either way they're fantastic guitars, hope you enjoy it!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.