Hope this is the right place...
Whilst starting to lay down a drum track the other week I noticed a very noticeable electrical hum embedded in the recording. After an hour or so, after looking for the fault in all of the equipment, we narrowed it down to the interface being faulty. We called it a day and sent off the interface for a replacement. The music store tested it and said it was fine and the problem sounded like an earthing issue.
I have very limited knowledge of electronics and stuff only just completing AS level physics this week and have no idea how to cure this problem.
Our recording setup goes Mics>Mixing Deck>Interface>Laptop
We have recorded before using the same setup, with the only difference being that the mixing deck was sitting on guitar cases instead of carpet (Used to cover the snooker table it was sitting on) could a zip on a guitar case be the issue?
Sorry if that sounds stupid
Cheers
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
I would love an answer here as well, as I frequently have this problem. Though, it occasionally does not happen which allows me to get some solid recordings. I'd love to kill it once and for all and be able to record with quality every time.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Yeah we have recorded many times and this is the first time it has happened, I would love a solid answer too then I can record in peace!
Orange Micro Terror
Is your computer/interface plugged into the same outlet as the mixer? If they're on difference circuits you'll get grounding problems.
oh right a plug! That is a good call actually I don't think they were! Thanks alot
Orange Micro Terror
Quote by Nirvanafanjonny

We have recorded before using the same setup, with the only difference being that the mixing deck was sitting on guitar cases instead of carpet (Used to cover the snooker table it was sitting on) could a zip on a guitar case be the issue?
Sorry if that sounds stupid
Cheers

You shouldn't put your interface (or any computer hardware for that matter) on a carpet. Carpets can build up alot of static, and the has the potential to actually destroy your hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause of your problem.