Hello,

I have been playing for about a year on a cheap Stratocaster imitation piece 'o crap.

The intonation cannot be set right because the scale length is too short, and the action on it is about 5 mm high and the screws in the block are so worn out.

I am looking for a cool looking, cool souding metal guitar.
I see that Ibanez have good models for metal, but the good version of the Xiphos is in chameleon green only and that sucks.

I've read reviews here that say the the Jackson JS30KV is a good metal axe.
I have a few questions:
1) Is this guitar really a good piece of equipment for metal?
2) How will the guitar react if I pop some EMG's in it? (I have been told that EMG's react badly with certain bridge metals and body woods)
3) Is the upper fret access on this guitar good? I have never held one before and I presume that a Bolt-on neck with a King V shape would stop me from getting up to the 22th-24th frets)

Thanks alot
Not sure why an active pup would react badly to certain bridge metals... You don't ground actives to the bridge.

I'll second that EMG's sound bad through a crap amp though. I played a schecter hellraiser with EMG's through a spider, and it sounded extra awful.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I'm more concerned about the upper fret access.
I heard that flying V guitars have great acess but I'm not sure.
Whats your total budget?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The JS series guitars are made from very cheap parts. The neck access is about the same as other 24 fret flying Vs.

It's not really something you'd buy as a second guitar, it's a begginner's instrument.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I don't understand when people consider buying a cheap guitar and a expensive set of pickups to go in it. You're better off just spending all the money on a better guitar to start with. It seems especially daft to pay for an expensive set of pickups if you don't have an awesome amp to make best use of them. What amp do you have?
My total budget is 700$.
I have a Peavey Bandit 112.

Yes, all other 24 fret V guitars...
But is the access as good as for example a Gibson SG?
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
I don't understand when people consider buying a cheap guitar and a expensive set of pickups to go in it. You're better off just spending all the money on a better guitar to start with. It seems especially daft to pay for an expensive set of pickups if you don't have an awesome amp to make best use of them. What amp do you have?

I've heard actives arent effected by the wood much so if the guitar plays well wouldn't the materials be mostly irrelevant sound wise?
Pretty nice body shape, although I personally hate XJ frets.
Will a Kramer Vanguard or a Dean VMNTx do?
Your after a metal V that doesnt have XJ frets? Good luck mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by IEatKahlers
Pretty nice body shape, although I personally hate XJ frets.
Will a Kramer Vanguard or a Dean VMNTx do?

I guess the VMNT has medium frets, but I'm not sure about that. I know that Mustaine didn't like jumbo frets when he was at Jackson, and I'm assuming he still doesn't!

In fact, the Jackson KV2s still have medium frets, even though that was never the Mustaine model. They just seem to have carried over from his KV1s, and Jackson have just left it like that.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Your after a metal V that doesnt have XJ frets? Good luck mate.

Theres always ESP's custom shop

Edit: Any Explorer shape will also do nicely.
Last edited by IEatKahlers at May 15, 2011,
I made myself a Alexi Laiho style guitar with two EMG's, a Floyd Original, jumbo frets, neck-thru design... 10.000$

.__.