haha well yeah, i might be jamming or something soon, and i dont know if my 100w peavey amp will do the job, the guitarist told me i should get a head and a cab asap, were mostly just looking to jam in like a garage, or maybe do some decently small gigs. btw im completely new to all these 15x1 and 4x2 or whatever all those numbers make my head spin, im new to all of it, so if you could help me understand it, i'd appreciate it
I think a 100watt amp will be perfectly fine, your guitarist doesn't know what he's talking about. Unless, of course, he has a full stack and expects to be blasting everyone's eardrums off. I'm assuming you meant 4x12 and that just means that there are 4 12in speakers in the cab. 15x1(?) I guess would mean that there's one 15 inch speaker. My old bassist's half stack had a 4x10 which are pretty common.
nahh i was just naming random numbers, i didnt know what they meant haha :P. so say like a 4x5 would be 4, 5 inch speakers in the cab?, haha im self taught so i didnt really learn about all the technical stuff haha :P
Haha I gotcha. Yeah that pretty much sums it up, though I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 4x5. I'm self taught too, you'll catch on. Just do what I did and read musician's friend catalogs every time you take a shit.
okay, thanks alot man , so do watts matter in a cab, or do just the amount of speakers, and the size of them matter for volume?
Well the wattage of the cab needs to match or exceed the wattage of the head you're using, or the amp will EXPLODE. Or something. That's about it, but I really don't think you'll need more than your 100 watt combo. If you're sold on getting a halfstack, I would focus on getting a good head first and then looking at cabs to match. Or you can get them both together as a set
watts matter because if you have a head that is 300 watts i talking bass and a cab that 150 you will end up blowing your speakers the main things to worry about with a cab is that it has the same or preferably greater watts than the head as a safe guard and that the impedance is the same as the head
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
alright, so if im gunna get a head with 100, i should preferable have a cab that has more then 100 watts so i dont blow the speakers? thanks guys, you've helped me alot, just one more question, what exactly, is like a fullstack, or halfstack or anything? :P
Quote by vampire275
alright, so if im gunna get a head with 100, i should preferable have a cab that has more then 100 watts so i dont blow the speakers? thanks guys, you've helped me alot, just one more question, what exactly, is like a fullstack, or halfstack or anything? :P

Half stack= Amp head+ 1 cab
full stack= amp head +cab + cab.
wut.
ohh...wait, u can plug in a head, to 2 different cabs?, do they have to be the same kind of cab, or same size or anything? haha, sorry for all the newbie questions :P
Quote by Reptilianriff
Half stack= Amp head+ 1 cab
full stack= amp head +cab + cab.

Ehh, not really. A full stack is really two sets of a speaker set. For example, two 4x10's is a full stack, but one 8x10 is also a full stack. One 1x15 is a half stack but a single 2x15 cab is a full stack. (though technically its not really a stack per se, but it's still a full rig).

Quote by vampire275
ohh...wait, u can plug in a head, to 2 different cabs?, do they have to be the same kind of cab, or same size or anything? haha, sorry for all the newbie questions :P

Yes you can, but you have to match the impedance. For example, if you have an amp that runs 200W at 8 ohms and 400W at 4 ohms, if you hook it up to a cab that runs at 8 ohms, you will get 200W of power.

But if you get two cabs that run at 8 ohms, combinding at a resistance of 4 ohms, you'll get the full 400W of power. The cabs just have to have the same impedance (ohms) and make sure the amp doesn't have more wattage than the cabs themselves or you'll blow the speakers.

They can be different brand, sizes, color and whatever, as long as their impedance and wattage are compatible.
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at May 14, 2011,
Quote by selkies
watts matter because if you have a head that is 300 watts i talking bass and a cab that 150 you will end up blowing your speakers the main things to worry about with a cab is that it has the same or preferably greater watts than the head as a safe guard and that the impedance is the same as the head

This is wrong and i woulnt listen to it. Most modern speakers are designed to take more power then there rated for to power them to a nice performance.

A speaker produces the sound and a head powers it. From there you have to think about what sound you want.

You main cabs for bass are:

One 15" speaker in a cab,
Four 10" speakers in a cab,
Two 10" speakers in a cab,
Two 12" speakers in cab,
and One 12" speaker in a cab.

After that theres a huge assortment of cabs to choose from but id stick with these for the moment until you really know what you want.

Most cab are rated at 8ohms or 4 ohms. Ohms are resistance i.e the resistance of the speaker or speakers combined.

The vast majority of heads run down to 4 ohms. So if you cabs connected in parallel to the cab you can power two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab. This will match up the ohms so everything works and is powered correctly.

Also some heads run down to 2 ohms but there are less of those and there generally connected to more expensive heads.

Another point that might help you is that a head is an amplifier combining a preamp, which controls the sound, and a poweramp which powers your speakers.

Ideally if you want to gig and have headroom that will get you a good clean solid sound to work from, to be your base to build from you could say, youll want 300 watts of power. So this will produce roughly 200 watts at 8 ohms and 300 altogether at 4 ohms. This is a good size to begin with for a gigging rig.

Whats your budget and were do you live??
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
and around 1000ish, and canada ontario. and so instead of getting an actual head for a cab, i could just use my 100 watt amp i have right now as a head? are there any pro/cons to having an amp as a head then?
Well i dont really see the point in it myself if your intending to get a second cab and then lug your combo around aswell just to power the other cab. sBut its up to. What do you want from a set up?
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
well if he has a 210 combo and he buys a 410 cab by running the 4 10 cab he will have doubled his loudness yeah?

anyway. 100watts its pretty low. I would suggest 2-300 watts.

what style of music do you play? what is your current amp? current bass? and name a bassists whos tone you want.

and if you have 1000CAD to work with you can get a very nice set up.
no sir away a papaya war is on
style of music, uhmm..alot of punk rock, and stuff...my main/fav bands to play are offspring, and billy talent. my current amp right now is a 100 watt peavey amp. my bass is a squier p bass, and either jon gallants tone, or mike dirnt's (greendays bassist), preferably, but my tone isnt my main focus at the moment for now.
you might as well get something you like, I would say get something with a 410 cab in it. at least 200 watts. the best cheap half stack I know of is the acoustic brand b200. get that paired with an acoustic b410 and you'll be set, but thats a bare bones nothing special it'll get the job done kinda thing. you can do better if you throw more money at it. (they are roughly $500)
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by vampire275

yeah, but you h ave to buy a splitter-cable. that sends output from your head to each cab.
wut.