So my friend asked me if I wanted to trade my Epiphone Tom DeLonge ES-333 for his Mark Hoppus jazz bass from 2001. My guitar is not even a year old and in immaculate condition. The bass has somebscratches and dings. They are all minor. No buckle scratch. Tiny crack at the neck pocket. Does this sound like a fair trade? And will that crack be a major problem?

If this isn't good, does a p bass allow me to switch pickup placement, can a basslines 1/4 pounder be reversed like that, can I get a pickguard to accomodate that?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Ones a bass and ones a guitar. The question you should be asking is what would you rather play?
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
I say keep the EPI. If you wanted to trade for a bass I feel you can find a better deal
most bolt ons get those tiny cracks inthe fnish near the neck pocket with that kind of finish.

Quote by jakesc8
If this isn't good, does a p bass allow me to switch pickup placement, can a basslines 1/4 pounder be reversed like that, can I get a pickguard to accomodate that?

what do you mean by switch pickup placement? lke move the pickup towards the bridge? or just swap pickups. cuz you can put a quarter pounder in that thing where the old one is.

and the trade is kinda up to you. I wouldn't do it cuz I want a hollow bodie more than I want a P bass Jazz conglomerate.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Ok. What about the pickup reverse thing in a P Bass
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

You mean switching the positions of the split coils like this.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at May 14, 2011,
Yeah like the Hoppus bass
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

if you want the coils the same way as the hoppus bass you can just switch the coils around.any p bass pup will fit.
Where can I find a pickguard for that though? And will the bass allow?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

im not sure I follow you %100.

you are getting a hoppus bass and the pickup is reversed. you want to use a reversed pickup. am I right so far?
I think he's asking if he could reverse the pickup like that in a normal P bass. For that you're probably looking at a routing job and a custom pickguard which would cost you over a couple hundred bucks to get done professionally.
I have to ask. You don't just want that reversed pickup because Hoppus has it do you? Nothing he's recorded has been recorded with the reversed P pickup I'm pretty sure. That's only something he's come up with in the last couple of years iirc.

EDIT: Just noticed you said it's a 2001 Hoppus. It won't have the reversed pickup anyway?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at May 15, 2011,
Trading a Guitar for a bass is like trading Apples and Oranges.

Though to be honest I would go with the trade. From personal experience I know that Jazz basses are Really nice quality, and will last a long time, Don't worry about the few scratches. Epiphone Guitars are okay in terms of quality but they usually break easily unless you like keep in a glass case and never touch it. Most Epiphones I see are just knock-offs of much more expensive guitars so trading up for the bass would probably be the better choice
Say a bunch of Punk kids go out into the woods with a bulletproof vest and they strap it on a grizzly bear. Then what do you get? Invincible bears! Is that what you want? Invincible bears running around, rapping your churches and burning your women?!
Yes you can switch around the pickups (I think the new hoppus basses come with switched pickups) you will just need a new pickgaurd cut for that ($25?). I think its worth the trade a $500 Indonesian hollowbody with a n american pickup for a $800? Mexican bass with high output basslines spb-3 pickups
Quote by Bag'ed
Hahaha, any paticular reason why the bassist needs to be female or are you just noncing?
You know, school girl and all that, 14-17?
Man, just get out your School of Rock DVD out and crack one off, don't go ruining young girls virtues!
I bought my Mark Hoppus sig for £500 new (Was an older model not the one with new pick up config)

imo Its not a great bass! Its not a Jazz Bass, Its a Precision bass with a Jazz Body, You could reverse the pickup config but you WILL need to re route job and new pickguard.

Try it out 1st, You might like it It does sound good, especially with a pick and they look stunning, there just awkward bass's to play imo
^ how is more more awkward than your normal P bass? I'm thinking your bass needs a proper set up.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I use an old model and I love the thing but it's a bass you get for a given sound. It's not versatile at all but if you like the Hoppus poppunk sound you'll be hard pressed to find anything that does it better. That said my bands being moving away from out right blink poppunk stuff to other things and it's doing really well with the mids pulled down to about mid way (instead of blasted like the treble) and the bass boosted up for a more aggressive straighter punk sound.

Personally I think it's a good trade simply for the fact that as a bass it's better (at what it's best at) than the guitar is as a guitar. Of all the different people I know who have had each the people with the bass have tended to stick with it where as the people with the guitar for the most part have moved on to using other things. That and the fact, no matter what colour it is, it's a far far better looking thing in my view

Simply put it's value hangs on you wanting the kind of sound that it does very well, if you don't want that sound then you are way better off looking at something else.

edit
Oh forgot to talk about the ease of play... personally I've not had a problem with it at all, in fact I find it easier to play than a lots of others i've used over the years. That said I've honestly just not used anything else for more than 2 seconds for a very very long time. I can bounce around like a mad man and play what I need to play so it's all good for me.
Last edited by hotcod32 at May 18, 2011,
As everyone's said it's a more expensive bass so in that sense it's a good deal if you want a bass, but it's just a P bass with a jazz neck so it will be "easier" to play, and an off set jazz body. the colors of these basses is cool for me, and I really want a P pickup on a jazz bass but I'd like the bridge J pickup, but then that's not very punk... but then again neither is having a signature guitar or bass made :/