Why hello there!

I got a call from an unknown number yesterday, and it turned out this guy saw my ad on craigslist saying that I am willing to buy project guitars, and he had a very interesting guitar to sell

I have no pictures of it yet, but it's a Flying V (copy, possibly) with no electronics, but it's a set neck and has a (for lack of knowledge, and better words) bridge that I am unfamiliar with. I'll put the brand when I get a look at it. Anyway, it's the body that my engineering teacher wanted me to make for a project, so that's a plus. It's only 50$ too.

Getting to the point, pickups. The ones I have laying around are from a Johnson strat, they're humbuckers and they will probably fit the V. I was wondering if anyone could possibly identify the brand and model of pups. Next, should I put those in for now and see what they sound like or order new ones; and if so, what pickups would you all recommend?

As for the electronics, I want to put a killswitch in it. I am pretty much clueless about electronics and what kind to put in it, so recommendations are welcome

Another question, would I need a case that specifically fits a flying V or would the case (in the attached pic) fit it, do you think? (By the way, that's my project strat that i'm putting on hold).

Thank you
Attachments:
pup bottom.jpg
pup top.jpg
strat in case.jpg
pickups: really depends what style you play

Killswitch: there are a few wiring threads around to get you started but in my experience when i put my own killswitch in is
do not cut the output jacks lines and piece it in
i have mine (strat) soldered to my volume pot (i will take pics for you if you want)
Well, i play literally every style of music you could think of, so what do you think would be the most well-rounded pickups, in your opinion?

And pictures of the killswitch wiring would be much appreciated.

Thank you
what kind of killswitch do you want? Do you want a toggle, or momentary?

"Toggle" switches between on and off, like most switches we encounter in our everyday lives

"Momentary" is like that buckethead uses, Cutting the signal when the switch is depressed, then the signal returns when the switch isn't depressed. Useful for "stuttering" effects. Here is a video that explains it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptrTRqYBng0
you can find those at pretty well any electronics store/radio shack

they're pretty easy to wire, but the diagrams can be a little confusing if you're unfamiliar with wiring.

Does/will the guitar have a master volume control, or an individual volume for each pickup?
It's probably going to have a 3-way pickup selector, master volume, a killswitch, and either a tone or a knob for built in distortion if i get around to installing it.
by built in distortion, do you mean the Artec QDD2? (I think that's what it's called)

Also, does this flying v have a pickguard?
I was thinking about getting the GFS onboard tube distortion, unless there's a cheaper one. I would look but I'm sort of lazy. And I believe it does have a pickguard. I haven't seen it yet though. The guy is gonna send me pictures sometime this weekend.
the Artec one is cheaper, $20 I believe. Any of them should be good, but the arctec is the only one I've tried.

I will say tho, that any of those onboard distortions would work best if you still have a tone knob, rather than replacing it
I have the artec qdd2, its actually pretty great. got it for $25. a little bit harsh, but when combined with another distortion, it makes a sweet high gain fuzz/broken speaker effect, especially with the tone knob rolled down. Also, its great at powering a wah, it basically makes it a really exaggerated version of the normal wah sound. The boost is nice, and the first few gain stages are too, but when you get up to 4 and 5, it is too much added volume for me.
Thanks for your responses, guys. I've decided on this one I'll just put either a volume and tones, a volume + tone + killswitch, or 2 volumes and 1 tone so I can turn one volume off and leave the other one on to stop the signal with the pickup selector. On my strat build, however, If I can get the tools to make a spot for the batteries, I'm going to put in distortion and maybe other effects. Besides, i already made preset distortions on my effects pedal and the only reason I would need onboard distortion would be maybe for live shows, but I can still use my pedal for those
you may not need to route any new cavities in the strat, depending on how big the existing cavities are now.

Try looking under the jack plate, there may be enough room for the 9v there. Probably a more obvious choice would be to look inside the control cavity itself, you're probably bound to find room. Others place to hide the 9v would be under a pickup, or inside the switch cavity.

Also, with regards to the two volume-killswitch effect A-la Ace Frehley, keep in mind that it is extremely hard on the switch, particularly the spring inside
Heard great things about the. Emg afterburner...bit pricey though.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by argentotenebre
you may not need to route any new cavities in the strat, depending on how big the existing cavities are now.

Try looking under the jack plate, there may be enough room for the 9v there. Probably a more obvious choice would be to look inside the control cavity itself, you're probably bound to find room. Others place to hide the 9v would be under a pickup, or inside the switch cavity.

Also, with regards to the two volume-killswitch effect A-la Ace Frehley, keep in mind that it is extremely hard on the switch, particularly the spring inside

Okay, that gets rid of the 2 volume killswitch, so a button it is. Thank you for the ideas of where to put the battery, too

So about the bridge, I still haven't seen the actual guitar yet but i know it's not a floyd rose and I'm pretty sure it's not a rolling bridge with vibrola. Any ideas on what type of bridge it is? I know it has a tremolo bar.

It's the same color as a goldtop les paul he said, so I might keep that color, might not. I'm not sure how I would like it on a Flying V. I don't really want to risk ruining a good finish, but if I do change it, I would want it stained black with the wood grain showing, like this
http://flyingv.org/dean-black-gold-flying-v-guitar-w-hard-case-2/3531
That killswitch is actually really cool, that's the only one i've seen that functions as a volume or tone knob. i just wish it wasnt 2x+ expensive as a regular one. </3