I've been wondering what type of guitar would be the best for me in the future, which would in fact be my 3rd guitar.

A sustainiac equipped guitar seemed like a great choice. I've come across Jackson guitars with them, but I've noticed that they have Seymour Duncan pickups, which are active pickups I believe. Will these kill my tone? I want to be able to play good clean tones, and stuff that isn't just metal music.

Is there any other sustainiac guitars without active pickups that are around 1000 dollars? Should I just get one installed on my current guitar instead?

I have an generic SG guitar with 2 humbucker pickups.
Not all Seymour Duncan pickups are active. And actives aren't only good for metal, you can play clean with them too, if its the right pickup.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

All 3 of these guitars have a Fernandes Sustainer in them.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/Ravelle-Elite-Electric-Guitar.site1prod241920.product

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/Monterery-Elite-Electric-Guitar.site1prod241921.product

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/Dragonfly-Pro-Electric-Guitar.site1prod241925.product

I've heard nothing but good things about Fernandes guitars.

EDIT: Putting a sustainiac in your guitar will destroy the retail value and be incredibly difficult to do. It would be smarter to build a guitar with the plan of putting in a sustainiac.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at May 14, 2011,
Yeah, that's what I was looking at. If it's a passive pickup, I think it will work out pretty well then, but the middle pick-up concerns me a bit.
I'm more used to having a bridge and a neck pick-up, and if I get that guitar, I don't think I'd be able to achieve a fatter tone, would I?

Those Fernandes guitars look probably more towards my aim, but I'm wondering if the sustainer has the same functions as a Sustainiac, with it's harmonic mode. However, the price is great, and the pick up setup is more to my liking, so maybe it would be a better choice for me.
Last edited by Clay-man at May 14, 2011,
My Fernandes Dragonfly elite has a sustainer in the neck.

The passive pickup has a very nice tone even w/ sustainer off. When you flip the switch to activate infinite sustain it'll automatically use the sustainer pickup even if your selector is in bridge position. It's tons of fun, even though it drains the 9V battery much faster than an EMG.

Edit: there is a harmonic mode also. The sustainer has two switches near the volume/tone knobs. One to activate sustainer, the other is for harmonic mode ( SQUEALS LIKE HELL!)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Last edited by bluezombie at May 14, 2011,
In addition to the Fernandes guitars you can always just buy a good secondhand guitar with active pickups that match the size of the Sustainiac system. This way you the Sustainiac installation becomes little more than a pickup swap. Even if you hire a tech this could still be pretty cheap. Or you could buy a used MIM strat, a pre-wired Stratocaster pickguard with actives and swap the neck pickup for the Sustainiac before installing.
You can have a LOT of fun with a double locking tremolo and an onboard sustainer.
Sustainiac pickups are slightly more metal-oriented than Fernandez Sustainer ones, I think.

The Fernandes sustainer is otherwise pretty much the same system as the Sustainiac, if I remember it right it has all the same functionality.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
You can have a LOT of fun with a double locking tremolo and an onboard sustainer.
Sustainiac pickups are slightly more metal-oriented than Fernandez Sustainer ones, I think.

The Fernandes sustainer is otherwise pretty much the same system as the Sustainiac, if I remember it right it has all the same functionality.

Yeah, I was also thinking about if I get a sustainer, a whammy or floating tremolo is probably a must.
Quote by Clay-man
Yeah, I was also thinking about if I get a sustainer, a whammy or floating tremolo is probably a must.

Fernandes elite series have a Fernandes licensed tremolo and honestly mine NEVER goes out of tune. And I tuned it 6 months ago
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by bluezombie
Fernandes elite series have a Fernandes licensed tremolo and honestly mine NEVER goes out of tune. And I tuned it 6 months ago

The ones I looked up that have a tremolo bar have EMG pickups. There was a Strat one though, I suppose that would do pretty good.
EMGs aren't actually bad pickups for clean sounds. You should try them sometime, you'll proably like it. Really articulate. Don't use the high-gain output of your amp if you have a choice, though.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Clay-man
The ones I looked up that have a tremolo bar have EMG pickups. There was a Strat one though, I suppose that would do pretty good.

My dragonfly's an early 2002, back when they came loaded with Seymour Duncans. This guitar is extremely versatile, i'd never part with it
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Hey, since the sustainiac uses a 9 volt battery, you think there's a possible way to mod a 9 volt adapter to a battery connector, so you could plug in your sustainiac?
Quote by Clay-man
Hey, since the sustainiac uses a 9 volt battery, you think there's a possible way to mod a 9 volt adapter to a battery connector, so you could plug in your sustainiac?

Technically yes. But it would make a lot more sense to just buy rechargeable batteries.
Quote by Clay-man
I didn't know there were rechargable 9 volts.

I found these on the Radio Shack website:

This is the charger:

There are plenty of others on the market . . .
you shouldn't use rechargable batteries in things like this. Rechargable batteries have inconsistent power and can cause significant problems. They're fine for mp3 players and compact cameras and stuff like that but you never want to use rechargable batteries in anything valuable like a guitar.
They arent true 9V, most rechargeable 9v are actually 8.6 or 9.4 none of which are as efficient as a real 9v.

Also i've heard the sustainiac is better than the fernandes. It also has a mix mode and is supposedly smaller. I'm building a custom guitar soon and i am going to buy the sustainiac stealth pro
I've been researching both of these myself, and I was wondering if the Sustainiac and the Sustainer were made by the same people or what. I'd like to try one out. What sort of parts are you going to use for your custom? I've always like Warmoth's stuff . . .
The stealth pro is made by sustainiac and the sustainer is made by fernandes.

I am going to use warmoth when i get a bit of cash and order a superstrat body with probably a wolfgang neck. I'm undecided whether to get a strat headstock or a banana one.

I'll get a dimarzio bridge pickup, with a floyd rose and d-tuna and probably a tremolno. Schaller tuners etc
Quote by RockGuitarist09
They arent true 9V, most rechargeable 9v are actually 8.6 or 9.4 none of which are as efficient as a real 9v.

Not even a non-rechargable 9v puts out 9v consistently. They might put out 9v when they're fresh, but as soon as you start to use them the output falls. After a few weeks of use it could easily be putting out just 7~8v. Thats why a lot of people still use batteries to power fuzz pedals, the slightly lower voltage makes the pedal sound different.

The main reason to not use rechargeable batteries is that unless you completely drain them before recharging they won't last as long on the next charge, and their life continues to fall each time you recharge them. They're also quite a bit more expensive than standard alkalines.
Quote by Clay-man
A Sustainiac equipped guitar seemed like a great choice. I've come across Jackson guitars with them, but I've noticed that they have Seymour Duncan pickups, which are active pickups I believe. Will these kill my tone? I want to be able to play good clean tones, and stuff that isn't just metal music.

You would be talking about the DK2S. Those Duncans are not active. I have a regular DK2 and it has the same pups minus the Sustaniac. The bridge is a JB and the middle is a STK-1. Very versatile pups. I love my DK2.

I would love to play with a DK2S, but I think the novelty of the sustainer would wear off relatively quickly. I would be more concerned about how the Sustainiac performs as a regular pickup.
Last edited by rebar71 at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by RockGuitarist09

I am going to use warmoth when i get a bit of cash and order a superstrat body with probably a wolfgang neck. I'm undecided whether to get a strat headstock or a banana one.

Damn, I'm already jealous!