Page 1 of 2
What are some general sterotypes of musicians?

And which of these have you generally found to be true.
Vague question is vague? Can you be more specific?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Most of the musicians I know aren't very good at holding down jobs.

Damn leeches...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Bassists are tall, lanky white guys, or fat black guys who just lay down a simple groove and aren't really good.

Not true, might I add.
Smooth Jazz. 'Nuff said.
Gear:
American Deluxe 5-string Fender Jazz, sapphire blue, tuned EADGC
Ibanez SR5005E Prestige 5-String, tuned BEADG
G&L L-2500 5-String, tuned DEADG
Fender Bassman 250 combo.
Markbass CMD 102P 300/500W 2x10
Quote by SmoothJazzBass
Bassists are tall, lanky white guys, or fat black guys who just lay down a simple groove and aren't really good.

Not true, might I add.

I'm a short stocky White guy who plays bass.

Did I just break the universe?
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
Guitarists don't know theory, drummers are neanderthals that hit stuff and bass players don't get laid.

(Dunno how true those are)
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Quote by 007dude
Guitarists don't know theory, drummers are neanderthals that hit stuff and bass players don't get laid.

I get laid, I know theory, and I'm not a neanderthal.
I play all 3 of those, might I add.
Smooth Jazz. 'Nuff said.
Gear:
Quote by MR.Shamanistica

If you had said mexican, you would indeed have broken the universe.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

Quote by 007dude

Well, lets just say I get around..., Our guitarist spends most of his time studying theory when he's not practicing or playing.

The drummer part is more or less correct, especially in my local area. Lots of 'Hardcore' drummers renting out or local practice stuido's kit for an hour, buying a double bass pedal and going nuts to some shit.
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
Quote by SmoothJazzBass
I get laid, I know theory, and I'm not a neanderthal.
I play all 3 of those, might I add.

Quote by MR.Shamanistica
Well, lets just say I get around..., Our guitarist spends most of his time studying theory when he's not practicing or playing.

The drummer part is more or less correct, especially in my local area. Lots of 'Hardcore' drummers renting out or local practice stuido's kit for an hour, buying a double bass pedal and going nuts to some shit.

Geez, they're stereotypes, "Stereotypes are standardized and simplified conceptions of groups based on some prior assumptions.". Not all of them are true, that's the point...
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Last edited by 007dude at May 14, 2011,
Quote by 007dude

they are generally true unless we're talking about jazz guitarists and drummers.

also TS, this isn't relevant, but why put a link in your sig to your music when your profile is set to private? don't you realize we can't listen to your tunes man?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The metalhead has some kind of social problem and can't communicate with the world, and solely listens to metal, is super anal about bullshit subgenres, and somehow has at least one classical song on his iPod to defer the fact that he solely listens to metal.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Metalheads claim they are open minded about what they listen to and namedrop 5 different metal bands from 5 similar genres.
That guitarist have giiant egos, drummers are f**king insane, and bassist are socially challenged,
And singers have even bigger egos than the guitarists.
I'm a guitarist and I don't have a ego at all, I'm just God!
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Metalheads claim they are open minded about what they listen to and namedrop 5 different metal bands from 5 similar genres.

This is mostly true.
Smooth Jazz. 'Nuff said.
Gear:
Quote by SmoothJazzBass
This is mostly true.

+1

To add to the thread, I generally presume that a musician is going to be egotistical, self-indulgent, condescending and socially awkward before I know them, which unfortunately appears to be true most of the time.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

What I usually see is something along the lines of:

"I listen to everything from Metallica to Cannibal Corpse to Aerosmith to Opeth"

they all make noise
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

while i do have to agree with this to some extent, the irony is that many people (not you though) that say this are people that are just as close minded, and listen to only classic rock, blues, and indie, and generally very generic artists within those genres. not all, but many of them.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Ah let's make a list!

- The 13 year old Bullet For My Valentine fanboy with a Jackson V
- The guitarist who suffers from Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
- The guitar teacher who likes every type of music out there
- The guy is shorts with an acoustic guitar who can only play 3 chords
- The rich guy with tonnes of gear
- The noob. Speaks for itself
- The chilled out hippie
- The rock guitarist wearining some weird item of clothing
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
That guitarist have giiant egos, drummers are f**king insane, and bassist are socially challenged,
And singers have even bigger egos than the guitarists.
I'm a guitarist and I don't have a ego at all, I'm just God!

The ego thing is incorrect.

It's just natural to have a big ego when you're as good as I am.

Trollface.jpeg
Personnaly people know I'm a musician because I have long hair and have a goatee.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

As for others, I can't seem the be able to stereotype people based on the instrument they play. In the band I'm in, we had : one huge drummer who was able to be gentle on the drum, one small mexican guy who didn't understand anything we said but was playing like a god of drum.

As for the bass we had a guy who got married with a prostitute, and our currenty bassist is an akward but nice shy guy, studying in programmation and reading about Hitler and zombie.

As for the guitar, we've had a crack-head who was strangely very serious about his study. As for the current guitarists : Me, a guy who's introverted and misanthropic, and study theory alot. And the other one is my best friend. A very good player with a HUGE ego.

tl;dr : I've never seen any stereotype on musician, exept for the fact that they are crazy as fuck, all of them
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by theogonia777
while i do have to agree with this to some extent, the irony is that many people (not you though) that say this are people that are just as close minded, and listen to only classic rock, blues, and indie, and generally very generic artists within those genres. not all, but many of them.

Oh god, you just described my soul with the exception of the indie part
I feel like a walking stereotype

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by 007dude

this
Musicians have a hard time accepting authority; they are left leaning; they have a hard time maintaining their sense of individuality in society and therefore resort to rebelling through various means including violence, aggression, drug use, and acts of instability.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at May 14, 2011,
Singers are egotistical. This is mostly true.

Although one thing i didn't expect was my drummer complaining about his drum sound on recordings. -_-' I thought the stereotype was that the lead guitarist wanted to turn his own tracks up in the mix but thats what he does. He's complained at me for 'turning myself up too loudly' and 'consuming the mix' with my guitar before too.

In fact, my bassist is always complaining at me for 'robbing his frequencies' as he puts it -____-
Quote by Zoot Allures
Singers are egotistical. This is mostly true.

Although one thing i didn't expect was my drummer complaining about his drum sound on recordings. -_-' I thought the stereotype was that the lead guitarist wanted to turn his own tracks up in the mix but thats what he does. He's complained at me for 'turning myself up too loudly' and 'consuming the mix' with my guitar before too.

In fact, my bassist is always complaining at me for 'robbing his frequencies' as he puts it -____-

I'd say that guitarists, especially lead guitarists, have an overinflated ego as well. Guitar in general actually....
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by MR.Shamanistica

Lol U mad bro? It's a thread on stereotypes, you dont have to get offended.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
The metalhead has some kind of social problem and can't communicate with the world, and solely listens to metal, is super anal about bullshit subgenres, and somehow has at least one classical song on his iPod to defer the fact that he solely listens to metal.

I get those too. Of course in addition to metalheads being Satanists.

I'm a Christian.
Every guitarist wants to know, or thinks he knows modes and all the theory in the universe
Quote by theogonia777

True that.

I listen to absolutely everything.

Just to cred myself a bit, been listening a lot to Astor Piazolla lately.

And I've even started to get into Burzum. I love their ambient stuff.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

This on a case by case basis.

Musicians have a hard time accepting authority; they are left leaning; they have a hard time maintaining their sense of individuality in society and therefore resort to rebelling through various means including violence, aggression, drug use, and acts of instability.

+100
Oh dear God yes!
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Lyricist/songwriters:

When asked what the songs they write are about, they always start with "Well, uhm, you know, it's kinda hard to explain...it's about, you ever noticed that...you know, when people just...".

I am the songwriter of my band and I often find myself doing that, helping the stereotype. Can't help it, my songs really can't be explained quickly.
Quote by SmoothJazzBass

Not true, might I add.

I'm average height, fat and white. Also, Irish.

Did I break the Universe now?
WARNING: Signature may not be handwritten
Page 1 of 2