Page 1 of 2
Ok, so my new amp search is continuing. I've decided that although I would love a JCM800, I won't be able to find one for a decent price. So basically, I'm asking if there are any good alternatives or other amps I should consider? I play Metal, mostly old school but I'd like to be able to achieve a modern tone if I was able to. My budget is £400, and I'm willing to go second hand. I also own a TS9, so boosting is an option. I also want to be able to use it for mid-to-large gigs.

Some amps I'm considering:

Laney GH50L / GH100L
Bogner Alchemist
Carvin X100b
I know a lot of people who swear by the Laney's, and from what I've heard they're worth it. Look used if you want a cheaper price (obviously).
I've got the GH100L it is killer. Get the GH50 though even at band practise you'd be lucky to put it on 3.
out of your list I say go with the Laney eather will be fine for just about any thing. They also are super reliable amps
Those Laneys do excellent JCM like tones. Can't think of much else at that price. Peavey Windsor may be worth a look.
Jet City 50 watt? They're cheap and nice.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
Jet City 50 watt? They're cheap and nice.

Not based on a JCM though?

Quote by Jason43
The Peavey VTM60 or VTM120 would be worth taking a look at.

Damn hard to find in the UK though

Quote by JD2k9
For 400, Bugera really sticks out to me. Laney's are great too.

I guess you mean the 1990? Its ok, but like you say the Laneys are still a closer approximation of the 800 sound.

TS the GH50/100 would be perfect for what you want, it is pretty much the same thing but a bit better.

If you are after something in the same vein as a JCM800 but slightly different, the Orange Rockers are a cool little amp to look at and are easily had around your budget as well.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
where the hell did you get a bogner for £400? the cheapest ive found it for is £550.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
GH50L > JCM800

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by JD2k9
For 400, Bugera really sticks out to me. Laney's are great too.

I'm reluctant to go with Bugera. They sound the absolute bollocks but man... I can't get around the failure rate and the fact they're essentially a bunch of ripoffs made by Behringer. I mean, even the logo is a rip-off of the Marshall logo.

On another note, what differences are there between the GH50L and the GH100L, aside from the wattage?
the laney is nice (i haven't tried an 800 though). I haven't tried the 100 watt version... i think they're the same aside from the wattage (though higher wattage will sound a bit different inherently, do don't expect them both to sound 100% the same).

thomann is doing that deal on the traynor ycv50b for around £400, too... i hear it's marshally (but i've only tried the 40 and 20). Might also be worth considering.

But yeah if you want a head in the UK the laneys are the obvious choice. Also the older models will supposedly do that type of tone too, if you're willing to go s/h (I haven't tried them, though).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bidley
I'm reluctant to go with Bugera. They sound the absolute bollocks but man... I can't get around the failure rate and the fact they're essentially a bunch of ripoffs made by Behringer. I mean, even the logo is a rip-off of the Marshall logo.

I've heard that it was only the very first Bugeras that were bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFv-VBRrtlA
Quote by JD2k9
I've heard that it was only the very first Bugeras that were bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFv-VBRrtlA

Like I said, they sound the real deal, this I know, but the build quality must be poor. Having said this, I don't know for sure, but I'm skeptical. I'd rather spend the money on an amp I know is well-built.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Mine sucked.

Then there was something wrong with you or it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
maybe look for a Laney AOR?
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
maybe look for a Laney AOR?

This
and the ghs

And not bugera 1990 if thats what people are implying.
Its a clone of a bad amp
1990 = 900 right?

solid state lulz

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

Well the 1990 must beat the 900 as it does have the Soul of Valves \m/\m/

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Also food for thought for the TS

JCM900 slx's turn up under 400 quid on ebay on a regular basis.

These are the good non diode clipping jcm900s

dunno how close it'd be to a jcm800 tone like probably a good bit gainier actually but yeah. good ampz.

They have an extra preamp tube i think (actually so does the laney aors i think?)

correct me i'm wrong just remembering from memory haha
Yeah the SLX is an awesome amp,

Should have asked this earlier, TS do you have a cab?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Hmmm, upon further investigation, it doesn't look as though you can easily switch between a lead sound and an OD sound (I know, it's a single channel, but I thought the gain switch would serve to add the gain to the standard clean sound). Maybe a VH would be more suitable?
alot of jcm800 style amps will be single channel i'm afraid just goes with the territory and the best jcm800s are single channel!

The vh100r is a notable exception though for this style of amp.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 14, 2011,
Tbh I should have suggested Hayden in the first place. Pretty versatile apparently, and I think they're made down in Essex
Quote by Bidley
Hmmm, upon further investigation, it doesn't look as though you can easily switch between a lead sound and an OD sound (I know, it's a single channel, but I thought the gain switch would serve to add the gain to the standard clean sound). Maybe a VH would be more suitable?

yeah, probably, if cleans (and the ability to switch quickly from pristine cleans to chugga chugga brrottzalsxz djent djent weeeeeeeeee)are important.

dunno about the aor but the gh has an extra gain stage over the 800 when the drive is engaged... more like a crunch channel and lead channel than twin channels (it's really just single channel with a switchable extra stage... and it sounds better if you set the gain and drive controls to similar amounts so trying to dial in clean and high gain doesn't work so well...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wasnt keep on the hayden i played, the Mo'Fo iirc, but that may have been due to the shitty 10" cab

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
To be honest I'm leaning way towards a Carvin X100b now. Shame they're an arse to get hold of over here.
The reissue must be pretty commonplace? Apparently it's not much different to the old one.
Page 1 of 2