I'm borrowing my friend's Les Paul Studio for the summer as he has an internship and it would sit around collecting dust otherwise. The thing I've always noticed about it though is that I prefer the tone to my PRS 100 times over. I'm not a fan of the neck or the single cutaway which is why I bought the PRS instead a few years ago but I'll always prefer the sound.

How would popping a set of burstbuckers or something in my PRS sound? Both guitars have maple caps on mahogany bodies. The Paul has a set neck whereas my PRS is bolt on but the guitars are quite similar apart from shape. Nearly the same weight (my PRS is heavier) and the same body depth not accounting for contours.

My PRS has Dragon IIs which have NEVER been my favorite pups.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If your gonna change the p/u in your PRS look at the Duncan JB and the custom coustom other than that I'd go Bare Knuckels, but they are a bit pricey
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I specifically want a Gibson sound though, will that do it? The Dragons are definitely quality pickups so that's not what I'm dissatisfied with. I want a specific sound.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
if you want that gibson sound then the pickups will get you there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They might get you part of the way there. Les pauls all have the tendency to sound like les pauls despite what pickups you stick in there. Not all les paul studios come with burstbuckers, the normal nitro finished, mahogany body, maple top studios have 490r/498t pickups.

To me, a PRS is going to have a distinctly different sound than a les paul. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but that's just been my impression. Something about a les paul's sound lacks the refinement of a PRS but that seems to be what gives it it's character.
Last edited by al112987 at May 14, 2011,
you can get it close but unless you're talking about a mcarty or an sc245 the neck length as well as the body construction is going to make it so it's not going to make a difference what pups are in there.

the custom 22 and 24 are significantly thinner then an lp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I know they're going to be different. They're different guitars. I don't like how smooth and mid focused my PRS is and want more of a Gibson growl. I know that doesn't come just from the set neck, body size and scale length.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712