I think I'm getting worse at guitar. I used to play 2-3 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. But with exams coming up, I've started to play less frequently. I've fallen into the pattern of just playing at weekends because of coursework and revision.
I read somewhere that it's better to play a little everyday than play for huge chunks then not pick up my guitar. Is it possible to slowly get worse because of this? I've been playing for 7 months if that helps.
I can tell you this much: 5 minutes of good practice beats the Hell out of an hour of bad practice. Good practice is targeted and focuses specifically on improving one thing. Bad practice is unstructured and unfocused. In order to get better, you need more good practice than bad. In order to maintain your skill, you need to stay in practice, which is to say, play music using the skills you want to maintain and continue practicing to improve those techniques.
Quote by Geldin
I can tell you this much: 5 minutes of good practice beats the Hell out of an hour of bad practice. Good practice is targeted and focuses specifically on improving one thing. Bad practice is unstructured and unfocused. In order to get better, you need more good practice than bad. In order to maintain your skill, you need to stay in practice, which is to say, play music using the skills you want to maintain and continue practicing to improve those techniques.

I definitely agree. It helps to really identify what your goals are. And be very specific about that. Once you know exactly what it is that you want to improve, and by how much, then establish a very focused half hour lesson per day that isolates that area or areas of playing.

If there are a few areas that you want to improve and you don't have a lot of time each day, try to come up with compound exercises that work on multiple areas at once. Again, really start focusing on the problem areas and you'll start practicing much more efficiently.
Danny L. Small
Guitarist/Teacher/Composer

well i actually found the better you become the more analytical and critical you become. Its not that you are getting worse. In fact you are getting better but now your understanding is greater so your imperfections stand out much more.

I remember after 10 years of playing thinking i had gotten worse than 5 years prior. then after a total 15 years i realized i was just an idiot
Quote by isaluteyou
well i actually found the better you become the more analytical and critical you become. Its not that you are getting worse. In fact you are getting better but now your understanding is greater so your imperfections stand out much more.

I remember after 10 years of playing thinking i had gotten worse than 5 years prior. then after a total 15 years i realized i was just an idiot

i agree with this
i remember about two years ago, i just forced my way through songs, which developed bad habits. then i started caring alot more, and now i have fixed alot of the bad habits, i have become alot more focused, and critical.

but still remember to have fun, and just because you cant get something doesnt mean youll never get it. just have to work at somethings more than others.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
It's cause you never learned the proper way to play guitar, or you're practicing the wrong way. You've learned mistakes or something. I find that after 5+ days of a break due to RL bullshit, I actually come back better for some reason.

I found when I first started and had no teacher, same shit happened to me man. I'd come back thinking "Why the **** do I suck", but after spending 8-10 hours a day with proper technique that I learned online... well, rest is history.