i'm buying these v30's for $150 from this guy. they are unloaded so i wont get a chance to test them.

on the odd chance that i would get ripped off(aka buy a blown speaker or nonfunctional speaker cuz i didnt get to test it)

what would i look for to make sure its in good working condition, without testing it out in a cab (since it is unloaded) thank you

:]
Look for tears in the speaker cone. That is the most obvious thing. Also, ask for the seller to sign a promissory note stating that the speakers are functioning and is willing to be held accountable if they are not. That way, worse comes to worse, you can sue in small claims court.

Just something simple like.

I (sellers name) assure that the Celestion V30 speakers being sold to (your name) are fully operational and I have received full payment in the amount of (whatever) on (the date) for said speakers.

Then you both sign at the bottom. Anyone who isn't trying to shaft you should have no problem doing that for you.
Last edited by Tyler.Allain at May 14, 2011,
^^^ pretty much that
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Do what I do with CL deals: Make them sign a paper stating the item is in good condition, and you both sign it. State the amount of money you paid as well. You understand.
Do you have a small combo amp that you can bring with you to put them in to try out?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Look for tears in the speaker cone. That is the most obvious thing. Also, ask for the seller to sign a promissory note stating that the speakers are functioning and is willing to be held accountable if they are not. That way, worse comes to worse, you can sue in small claims court.

Just something simple like.

I (sellers name) assure that the Celestion V30 speakers being sold to (your name) are fully operational and I have received full payment in the amount of (whatever) on (the date) for said speakers.

Then you both sign at the bottom. Anyone who isn't trying to shaft you should have no problem doing that for you.

sweet man hadnt thought of a paper good thinking will do :]
Quote by vincelombard
sweet man hadnt thought of a paper good thinking will do :]

It is the next best thing to testing them out.
Quote by Major Sparky
Do you have a small combo amp that you can bring with you to put them in to try out?

i don't lol only a 5150 combo which would be totally insane to bring that! hahahaha
Quote by vincelombard
can someone give me some guidance on how to put them into my 5150 when i get home?

It is real easy. Remove the two wires connecting to the speakers and dismount the speakers by removing the screws/bolts holding it to the cab. Then bolt the new speakers in and connect the wires.
use a 9v battery and touch it to the posts and if the speaker moves then it is ok if not it has a bad voice coil. touch + to + and - to -, you may need to bring 2 small pieces of wire.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Tyler.Allain
It is real easy. Remove the two wires connecting to the speakers and dismount the speakers by removing the screws/bolts holding it to the cab. Then bolt the new speakers in and connect the wires.

This, assuming they are the same ohm rating as the speakers that were in there before.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
So i bought the speakers.

wanted you guys to examine the edge of one of the points where one of the contacts insert it is raised/disconnected from the cone SLIGHTLY!

very small spot.

i just would like you to examine and give me the A OKAY

here's the pics

I don't see anything wrong with the speaker. I am not sure what you are pointing out but its fine. Put em in and post some clips for us to listen too!
cool! i'm trying to remove the connectors right now from the sheffields (the wire connectors) they're not sliding off. am i doing something wrong by just pulling on them?

the thing i was talking about was the little edge of like putty that is coming up on the last picture
there's some old soldering stuck on the contacts of the vintage 30's and i cant get the connector pins on because of it.

how do i get that stuff off?
Quote by vincelombard
there's some old soldering stuck on the contacts of the vintage 30's and i cant get the connector pins on because of it.

how do i get that stuff off?

Get a soldering iron and heat it up to melt it. Then use a damp sponge to spot if off. Thats the best way to do it.