Just a moan really. I'm in my mid teens and am really confused at the moment, on everything really. I'm fairly smart mostly B's and A's and have good sense of whats there in the outside world and where I want to go. I've always told everyone I want to be a Journalist, but until recently my mind has been changed. I've been fairly decent at English but I'm only expected a B and my parents are expecting A* and I've lost all interest in it, because I've started playing the guitar about a year ago now, and have only become quite good in the last few months. I'm completely self taught and to be honest and as juvenile as it sounds this is all I want to do. I'm aware I might change my mind but I doubt it. If i get into 6th form nest year I'll have to choose my options and my Mum and Dad both want me to do English and Literature but I hate it with a passion, so I'm going to have to tell them soon, what do I do? I don't want to end up in the same town for the rest of my life like others are destined to. I'm also in a bit of a dilemma friends wise in that the group I'm hanging out with more about a tad sappish really, choosing to play COD for hours rather than go out and I'm confused in that sense so if anyone wants to inbox me and play Jeremy Kyle I'd be more than grateful.
Have a talk about it with them. If they're good parents, they should respect the fact that you lost your interest. Why make your profession out of something you're not interested in?
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Quote by Hebriqui
Have a talk about it with them. If they're good parents, they should respect the fact that you lost your interest. Why make your profession out of something you're not interested in?

Because my first choice, is something that I probably won't carve a career out of yet its all I want to do.
This isn't unique to you, but it is a stage that many go through. I understand if you don't want to do English, and I understand if it seems music is all you ever want to do, but don't go for this. You will ALWAYS have music available to you, no matter if you make it a profession or a hobby. But a career in it is desperately uncertain, so I would stick with the stuff you know.
Parental figures are the hardest ones to speak about your fears and interests. They really believe that thier own beliefs and values is what you will share as well. If you do speak to your parents there might be two outcomes, one where they become upset because you dont share the same vision of your own future, or the other is that they may understand you.

I would have to say that you should follow what you want with your heart, simply because you are the only one who is going to reap what you sow and enjoy the benefits of your decision. Live your life for yourself, not for the pride of others.

If you are confused about your life, that is alright, many people in the world are confused about what they want to do with thier lives. The beauty of people is that we are dynamic and fluid, we are not the same people we are from our 80's to our 50's to our 30's and our teens. The average person switches majors and careers from 3-5 times in thier lives.

Focus on things which make you who you are, a good person, good guitarist, loyal, great with friends ect ect.. if you put all your sense of self in what you do.. then you will lose it once you lose a career.

good luck
*~The silence is deafening as the city blinks through the cimmerian twilight
Quote by LordBishek
This isn't unique to you, but it is a stage that many go through. I understand if you don't want to do English, and I understand if it seems music is all you ever want to do, but don't go for this. You will ALWAYS have music available to you, no matter if you make it a profession or a hobby. But a career in it is desperately uncertain, so I would stick with the stuff you know.

I understand but isn't it worth a shot?
Quote by CharlieeeBeee

Not on its own. Take it from me. I had the same mentality. I'm now in my 20s and have **** all qualifications, and no real knowledge or talent outside of the music industry. If I don't find a way in, I'm on 9-5 shop till work for the rest of my days.
Get yourself a career, whether you're committed to it or not, and keep shooting at chances into the music world when they arise. That way, you're set from all angles, and you have something to fall back on should you fail, and if you don't...well, no big loss when you quit the previous job.
Quote by LordBishek

This is what I would say. The way I see life is that you get a job or career primarily to ensure your quality of life is good and obviously if you have a good quality of life with sufficient money you can use any surplus cash/time you have to pursue your hobbies and interests. People always say oh the career you do should be something you love to do, I disagree it should be something you feel you are good at doing not necessarily what you love to do. For example I want to learn to play different instruments and make my own music but I know it is very unlikely I would ever sell any of it or make a career out of it. So I'm studying law, which is something I think I would be good at(so far it has been the case), which should set me up for a decent career in which I can use my spare time and money to explore what I want to do musically.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Quote by CharlieeeBeee

You can have that shot to a limited extent parallel to what you're doing. I know one of my friends who regularly gigs, got noticed, plays at radio stations, plays festivals and has even released an album. I'm not talking massive, record label deals and stuff, but musically, he has been successful. Certainly he's achieved success to whatever extent he wants - ultimately he doesn't care what kind of crowd comes to see him, he just wants to play music. And he does that.

Despite that, he completed his Masters degree in mathematics because he recognised a fundamental truth about the entertainment business. In almost every other profession, you can succeed if you try hard enough. You throw yourself at your work, you rise to become the best, and you will succeed. Entertainment has that same kind of system, but at the same time, your success is measured entirely in terms of subjective metrics. Ultimately, people LIKE your music or they don't, as opposed to you being successful because you're GOOD at something or not. So luck or whatever you want to call it has a massive influence on your success. Ultimately, it would be wrong of me to tell you that BOTH skill and luck count no matter what you do. But certainly in performing arts, especially ones with immense amounts of creativity and freedom, that luck factor is exaggerated tremendously. Don't believe me? Watch one of the musical reality TV shows. There are a lot of hacks on there, but there's a lot of talent that gets passed down by the wayside too. Ultimately it's an incredibly competitive field and the ones who do well aren't necessarily the most musically talented. All music is generally like this, the only reason you see it on TV there is because it's popular.

You can do a job and be a reasonably successful musician as well. You may not sell out Wembley or Headline Donington, but what are the chances of that? How many of even the "successful" bands, the ones who are truly famous get that opportunity? You'll still have stability in, let's face it, an incredibly difficult economic time for even those with stable jobs, and you get to do your hobby as well.
Quote by LordBishek
... You will ALWAYS have music available to you, no matter if you make it a profession or a hobby. But a career in it is desperately uncertain, so I would stick with the stuff you know.

Agreed.

And about your friends:

You could try to get some new friends but that's kinda hard.
Instead I would try to motivate your COD-playing friends you already have to get outside and do some pranks or other crazy shit once in a while. If they refuse, just tell them "One day, you WILL die! Do you want to look back at your life and say "Oh yeah, i'm pretty proud of being #2 on my local server..."?"