Alright so my Epiphone Valve Jr. is about 6-7 years old, and I think the tubes have only been changed once. Latley I've noticed how low the volume has gotten, and how low it starts distorting, and I'm really wanting something that will handle my cleans better. Problem: I'm a tube noob. So, I came here to ask....

1) Do I need a pre-amp, or power tube for this kind of amp.

2) What kind of tube should I get brand and/or model, to get good cleans, and starts really driving around 60/75%

P.S. I mostly play Indie/Alternative if that helps at all.

Thanks!
If you're replacing all your tubes then you need a pre and power amp tube. Do you know what kind of tubes are in there now? I'm not sure what tubes the Valve Junior takes.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
both pre and power.

you need a 12ax7-style preamp tube and an el84 for the power tube.

I'd probably go with a lower gain variant of a 12ax7 to get more headroom (that's the theory, anyway... i haven't tried it myself), something like a 5751 or 12at7.

i've only tried jjs in my valve junior... did make it sound a bit sweeter over the stock sovteks. Which is not to say other higher-end-than-sovtek brands won't also make it sound sweeter, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no problem

don't spend too much on NOS tubes or anything like that, if you have one of the older versions anyway. The bias was way off on the power tube and kinda makes it die much more quickly (i think). so you don't want to be putting anything too expensive in there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha yeah, I just blew all my money on a Strymon Blue Sky Reverbarator anyway, so I don't have money to put anything real nice in.
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?