hey guys im being offered a marshall tsl100 half stack for £550. should i go for this or buy a bugera 333xl combo? thanks
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Holy crap get the TSL.
The Bugera is a Chinese copy of a Peavey Triple XXX - Sounds good on paper, but it's nowhere near as well-built and thus will break down more often, if memory serves.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Holy crap get the TSL.
The Bugera is a Chinese copy of a Peavey Triple XXX - Sounds good on paper, but it's nowhere near as well-built and thus will break down more often, if memory serves.

This is bullshit lies from bandwagoners. Bugera has fixed their issues and are now a really reliable amp. The 333xl is a copy of the Peavey JSX, and a good one. It's really versatile for anything.

The TSL on the other hand is Marshall's not so great attempt at a modern high gain amp.

In my opinion the bugera shits all over it
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
...Get the TSL, sell on ebay, use profit to buy 333Xl. Duh winning.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
...Get the TSL, sell on ebay, use profit to buy 333Xl. Duh winning.

/thread.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
if it helps to mention it, the bugera would be brand new and the marshall is used. also, the marshall comes with a 1936 cab and the bugera is in 2x12 combo form.

Quote by sammo_boi
The TSL on the other hand is Marshall's not so great attempt at a modern high gain amp.

why is it not so great for modern high gain? if i did get it, what would be a good way to get it tighter gain?
Quote by Cracked.com
Last edited by dtmaiden at May 14, 2011,
The cleans on th TSL are dreadful IMHO and the amp itself is fiddly as hell and just bad overall.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by dtmaiden
if it helps to mention it, the bugera would be brand new and the marshall is used. also, the marshall comes with a 1936 cab and the bugera is in 2x12 combo form.

Quote by sammo_boi

why is it not so great for modern high gain? if i did get it, what would be a good way to get it tighter gain?

for a start, it's used, there could be quite a few potential problems with it. used is good, yes, but there's always that risk. I bought my Randall used and the output transformer blew out the day i got it because the last owner biased the tubes wrong.

and a way to get a tighter sound is to use a tubescreamer or some kinda of overdrive pedal infront of the amp with the distortion low and the level high to tighten up the sound
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by dtmaiden

It just has a little bit muddy and sorta uninteresting sound that so many amps do way better. It's a good amp, and does everything ok. It's just as not good as other amps.

And as said before put a tube screamer in front to tighten your sound
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by ProphetToJables
The cleans on th TSL are dreadful IMHO and the amp itself is fiddly as hell and just bad overall.

The cleans are not 'dreadful'. Once you get the volume up a bit the cleans sound great if you can figure out a simple 3 knob eq..
I tried 2 different 333XLs and both times the tones I was getting were boring and sterile. But I suppose that for high gain that might be a good thing...

Never played a TSL. I once played a DSL that was pretty decent for medium gain applications.
Also, theres a TSL i've played at our rehearsal space and it just gets lost in the mix :/ Sorry, i messed with it for about 20 minutes or so and the cleans just sounded weak. i don't know if it's because of the specific one but they just didnt seem to give a valve warmth
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by sammo_boi
This is bullshit lies from bandwagoners. Bugera has fixed their issues and are now a really reliable amp. The 333xl is a copy of the Peavey JSX, and a good one. It's really versatile for anything.

The "fixed there issues" bandwagon is a bandwagon too.

Just because they fixed the issue that made them go on fire does NOT mean they arent cheaply made amps with cheap parts that one part or another will fail

Also bugera speakers are awful if we're talking the 2x12 combo..
Quote by ProphetToJables
Also, theres a TSL i've played at our rehearsal space and it just gets lost in the mix :/ Sorry, i messed with it for about 20 minutes or so and the cleans just sounded weak. i don't know if it's because of the specific one but they just didnt seem to give a valve warmth

Dunno why then, maybe the bias is funny on that one? ._. I'm always pretty pleased with the cleans i get with mine.
Quote by coolstoryangus
The "fixed there issues" bandwagon is a bandwagon too.

Just because they fixed the issue that made them go on fire does NOT mean they arent cheaply made amps with cheap parts that one part or another will fail

Also bugera speakers are awful if we're talking the 2x12 combo..

If it was myself, I wouldn't buy either of those amps. Since TS is in the uk a Laney TT/VH/GH would be great and there should be some on the used market. Depending on his style a 6505(+) could be better.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
If it was myself, I wouldn't buy either of those amps. Since TS is in the uk a Laney TT/VH/GH would be great and there should be some on the used market. Depending on his style a 6505(+) could be better.

That's fair enough, but I've tried the laney GHs and I found them quite muddy, honestly. Also, the 6505+ is great for metal, but the cleans are worse than sterile, and I think of myself as playing as many genres of music as possible.
Quote by Cracked.com
Quote by dtmaiden
That's fair enough, but I've tried the laney GHs and I found them quite muddy, honestly. Also, the 6505+ is great for metal, but the cleans are worse than sterile, and I think of myself as playing as many genres of music as possible.

In that case, buy whatever you think sounds the best

The TSL and the 333xl are good amps. And if you like the sound, then there's no reason to not buy them

Quote by coolstoryangus
Laney ghs are anything but muddy.
They can get quite br00tz especially boosted

Mine absolutely roars
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi

And it doesn't concern you that their quality control is so bad that a component that actually caught fire slipped past and wasn't picked up before customers discovered the problem for themselves?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And it doesn't concern you that their quality control is so bad that a component that actually caught fire slipped past and wasn't picked up before customers discovered the problem for themselves?

Big toy companies have had potentially lethal drugs (without realising) in swallow-able parts before. Shit happens. And when shit happens you fix it. Now go away
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at May 14, 2011,
Yeah and if i heard about that i wouldnt want me kids near it..

Why shouldnt it be any different with teh ampz?
Because the product was recalled? And they released a new one. Without teh drugz bro.

Same situation with bugera
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I find the lead channel on the TSL to be great with an overdrive or boost in front of it.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by sammo_boi
Big toy companies have had potentially lethal drugs (without realising) in swallow-able parts before. Shit happens. And when shit happens you fix it. Now go away

Nice strawman argument. Hitler killed millions of Jews - does that make it ok to kill my bank manager then?
What sort of half-assed testing did they do that they didn't pick up that the thing actually burst into flames? Yeah, really inspires confidence.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
nobody follows 311's basic guidelines.

shame, this could have been productive.

game over.

insert coin.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
We're kinda getting a bit off topic here...I've got a boost, so if I get the Marshall that'll improve it, but will the bugera need using a boost or anything like that? Also, is the 1936 cab any good? That's what the Marshall would come with.
Quote by Cracked.com