Hi

Yeah i know what you're thinking... "This guy has a squire affinity!!?!?! He doesn't deserve to be on this forum!!" Haha

Thing is, i've had this guitar for about 8 years and haven't really touched it, i got it when i was about 9. Recently ive come together with some friends to make a punk rock style band and we've got a gig next month. The only problem is, my guitar sounds like horse shit and i really wanna get it to sound good! Everything on it is stock at the moment so the hum is horrible!

I was looking at getting these pickups as they're quite cheap and the reviews are pretty good:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Calibrated-Pickup-Set-Hot-Lead-Lil-Puncher-Import-Telecaster_p_149.html

What else can i add or customise to get that punk rocky crunch sort of sound, without the horrible hum that i'm having to deal with now? Do i need to change the pots? and what other electronics can i change?

Bare in mind i have no knowledge about what certain components do on an electric guitar so please explain! I am really interested to know!

Thanks in advance,
James.
Quote by Trevascus
Thing is, i've had this guitar for about 8 years and haven't really touched it, i got it when i was about 9. Recently ive come together with some friends to make a punk rock style band and we've got a gig next month. The only problem is, my guitar sounds like horse shit and i really wanna get it to sound good! Everything on it is stock at the moment so the hum is horrible!

And you want to mod it why?
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
And you want to mod it why?

To improve the sound of course... haha
He's being funny, but he's mostly right, search on google or this forum, punk rock guitar or punk pickups etc, and it's going to be the same answer every time until the end of time. Punk rock is a very loose genre, a telecaster with single coils is one of the biggest punk rock icons, but then SG's, Strats and les pauls or any guitar from a dumpster find to a brand new custom fender can be punk. Singles, humbuckers, anything can be punk. If you are trying to emulate a certain guitarist, or band let us know.

That being said, here's the thing, if you plan on just playing crunchy and hard always, go ahead and get those they'll be fine. But, if you plan on playing clean, the higher output pickups don't sound as good clean.

EDIT: What amp do you use? 9.9/10 the problem is a crap amp, though it won't solve the feedback issues, the requires grounding, shielding and possibly nicer pickups, but you can still use single coils if you like that tone, it's just the nature of the beast.
Last edited by askrere at May 14, 2011,