Hey.

So today, i swapped my Laney VC30's stock Celestion Seventy80 with a G12H30 anniversary.

Installing it was a bit of a pain, because the stock speaker was literally stuck in place, so i could lift the speaker up and the amp would lift up with it, and then i had to remove the amp chassis from the cabinet and now i've not been able to align the screws properly and had to come to a compromise of just using 2 screws - the trouble is the chassis can move then and the amp makes a sort of vibrating noise as a result (more work to be done aligning everything again tomorrow i think lol)

but it was definitely worth it. the stock speaker was just not a good match for the amp - it had a harsh upper-mid peak that simply could not be dialed out, quite boxy sounding mids, and very rumbly, sloppy bass response. single coils were sounding thin and ice-picky and humbuckers were sounding muffled and muddy.

with the G12H installed i noticed an immediate difference - in fact, i'm at my parents' house right now (my amp is stored there as i have a lot of gigs coming up in that area in the next couple of weeks) and even they noticed an immediate difference from upstairs

the bass is a lot smoother and rounder, the midrange is a lot richer and more "open" sounding, and the treble is a lot sweeter too - the harsh, ice picky sounds are completely gone from single coil tones which are now bright and punchy and have a lot more depth, while humbuckers are sounding thick and full but still retaining a lot of clarity and definition. definitely worth the money and the effort.

i will be uploading some recording shortly, but i really don't think they do the difference in tone any justice - they both sound the same on recording

edit: clips now available on my profile it shouldn't be hard to work out which ones they are
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 14, 2011,
sweet

yeah the 70/80 is pretty rubbish to be frank

always figured the g12h should suit the vc30 pretty well- nice to know it does.

checking out the clips now

EDIT: yeah that sounds a lot better
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet

yeah the 70/80 is pretty rubbish to be frank

always figured the g12h should suit the vc30 pretty well- nice to know it does.

checking out the clips now

EDIT: yeah that sounds a lot better

i just can't wait for the next gig now - i was actually watching the videos of previous gigs i've played and cringing at how i was just putting up with that stock speaker in the mix it sounded like i was playing through a megaphone, i can hear that now after only using the new speaker for a couple of hours yesterday

seems like i should've posted this in the laney thread rather than made a new thread about it
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Woah!
The difference is quite impressive. The G12h sounds much fatter and fuller to my ears.
Oh, and nice playing
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Quote by I'mOnAPlain
Woah!
The difference is quite impressive. The G12h sounds much fatter and fuller to my ears.
Oh, and nice playing

thanks

it's good to know that the recordings did bring out a difference, they don't really do it justice because the 70/80 actually sounds better when it's recorded than it did in the room

the G12H is definitely fatter and fuller sounding, but at the same time sounds a lot more focussed and defined.

i've put my amp back together properly now, too - the chassis is actually more firmly fixed to the cabinet than it ever was - it just doesn't look as tidy

Quote by Blompcube

seems like i should've posted this in the laney thread rather than made a new thread about it

and yeah, there's something about the 70/80 that i really don't like... you said megaphone, i'd say it nearly makes everything sound like a tinny transistor radio or something like that...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
holy crap what a difference. i love my g12h anny speaker. if i ever sell off my avatar that speaker is staying, and probably finding a home in a studio 15 or 5e3 clone.

very noticable difference.

"can't explain" was one of the first songs i learned.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
So much GAS for a speaker swap right about now! Nice to know you can tone down some of the imperfections, when I get cash I'll definately put a new speaker and tubes top of my list. To be fair though I can survive with it as it is, I mean I can hear the harsh upper mids and boxyness but I don't find the amp all that bad. Probably will when I finally upgrade the thing :P
Quote by ProgFolk12
So much GAS for a speaker swap right about now! Nice to know you can tone down some of the imperfections, when I get cash I'll definately put a new speaker and tubes top of my list. To be fair though I can survive with it as it is, I mean I can hear the harsh upper mids and boxyness but I don't find the amp all that bad. Probably will when I finally upgrade the thing :P

yep, i think i'm probably being a bit too heavy on the criticisms of the stock tone. i wasn't finding the tone with the original speaker "bad", i just thought it was time for an upgrade, because i have upgraded my selection of guitars dramatically since i first got the amp, but it just seemed the amp wasn't really doing that enough justice as my tone hadn't really improved.

it's definitely doing my selection of guitars more justice - now the difference in tone between my gibsons actually reflects the difference in what i paid for them i think i need to upgrade my les paul now