I recently kicked the habit of anchoring my pinky finger, but whenever I don't have any of my arm touching the guitar my shoulder hurts really badly, so I usually wrest my wrist on the guitar, but my friend said that might limit movement even more. So whats the deal here?
When you anchor your finger or your hand on the guitar it can cause unnecessary strain on your arm muscles so this could because of that?
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Quote by Brownerz
When you anchor your finger or your hand on the guitar it can cause unnecessary strain on your arm muscles so this could because of that?

Well what I'm asking here is:

A) The question you answered

and

B) Is wresting my wrist on the guitar going to be bad in the long run too?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234

B) Is wresting my wrist on the guitar going to be bad in the long run too?

Yeah, IIRC it can cause all sorts of issues that may eventually disable your guitar playing completely.

If you've got pain, give it a rest for 4-5 days or a week to be safe. I know it's hard, I accidentally did something to my wrist away from guitars recently, so I've stopped for 3 days and it's brutal not playing... but I know my wrist will thank me and I know I won't get tendonitis or something dumb.

Analyze your playing/posture...etc
Sounds to me like you're holding your arm away from the guitar to avoid touching it at all. This is totally unnecessary. If you used to anchor your pinky, the process is

Relax right hand - > play as normal.

With your right hand totally relaxed, your fingers may curve in or out, but your overall posture changes very little.

If you used to press into the guitar with your wrist - just don't press into the guitar any more.

Basically, your old arm position was fine, but you were anchoring. Keep old arm position, don't anchor.
Quote by Freepower
Sounds to me like you're holding your arm away from the guitar to avoid touching it at all. This is totally unnecessary. If you used to anchor your pinky, the process is

Relax right hand - > play as normal.

With your right hand totally relaxed, your fingers may curve in or out, but your overall posture changes very little.

If you used to press into the guitar with your wrist - just don't press into the guitar any more.

Basically, your old arm position was fine, but you were anchoring. Keep old arm position, don't anchor.

Alright, good.

Also I was wondering about the 'right way' to pick.

Basically this

http://www.jesperdeleuran.dk/media/pick/pick1.jpg

I was wondering if my fingers have to be curled all the way, or if I can have them slightly looser.
What the guy 2 posts above me said.

Relax your wrist dont force it into an uncomfortable position its just gonna make shit harder
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Alright, good.

Basically this

I was wondering if my fingers have to be curled all the way, or if I can have them slightly looser.

My fingers stick out and aren't curled up. I do like a lot of right hand tapping runs though.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Alright, good.

Basically this

Your hand should be totally loose, so wherever your fingers are when they relax, that where they are when you pick. For me they do actually curl in like that by themselves.