So I've got a dilemma guys... my little brother who plays the drums is an elitist. The 15 year old only plays traditional style, is obsessed with playing "off" beats (like crazy latin rythems), swears off double bass pedals because they are "overrated", and never plays fills because that's "not what music is all about."

It actually bothers me quite a bit, seeing as I'm never able to jam with him because the music I play (rock, blues, and a little metal) is too normal for him apparently.

ITT: Help TS fix his dumbass junior high brother.
I pride myself on my humility.
Smack him.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
bang his mom. that'll learn him.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
bang his mom. that'll learn him.

And send him pictures as proof.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at May 14, 2011,
So basically you want to stop him from expressing himself in the way that he feels is most genuine? Fuck right off, if that's what he enjoys doing deal with it.
i like the sound of him. you're not worthy of him
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Let the guy do what he wants. What if he up and told you he didn't want to jam with you because you refused to play what he wanted to do. That's just as bad.
He's not an elitist....he's a hipster....

I dunno...try to play some latino rock with him.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
looks like he's got the right idea..
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Skullfuck some sense into him.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Try to mix the two. Compromise and make a new sound. Have him show you guitar stuff he likes, you learn then show him drum stuff you like and he can learn.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Thrashtastic15
So basically you want to stop him from expressing himself in the way that he feels is most genuine? Fuck right off, if that's what he enjoys doing deal with it.

The thing is... his bro is being a douche.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Cb4rabid
Put your nuts on his drumset.

And make sure you go for a long jog beforehand.
Do some Mars Volta covers with him. If he doesn't want to learn any, kick his pussy ass. He's your little brother for crying out loud, make the goddamn rules.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

This.
Perhaps you should adjust to HIS style if it bothers you so much?

If you do want to influence him, just wean him onto it. Learn of some legendary drummers from your genres and let him hear it.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
my older brother sucks. I've never been a fan of rock drumming and tend to follow a more Latin/jazz approach. he wants to jam but he isn't willing to learn some of my music and expects me to learn his.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
my older brother sucks. I've never been a fan of rock drumming and tend to follow a more Latin/jazz approach. he wants to jam but he isn't willing to learn some of my music and expects me to learn his.

I smell a mirror thread in a few minutes / hours.