alright so I recorded this over the last few weeks and would love to get some feedback
the demo's here--> http://soundcloud.com/chris-kay-demos
and c4c as always
btw all five songs are part of the demo, though feel free to only comment on whatever you like
Last edited by VforFailure at May 14, 2011,
Hey! Nice!
Got some good pop punk here. It's a bit rough in the producing area but the song itself is great. Very catchy. You have a good voice for the genre. The chorus gets a bit crowded and you're bit off pitch wise every now and then but again a cleaner recording would fix that.

Good work man.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441251 Crit?
I'd consider a bigger drop in dynamics for the verse part with the clean guitar on the first track, that'd sound sick in prep for the chorus which is much thicker. Your voice works very nicely too, I quite like the vocal melodies too
I really like the ska track too, your voice lends itself particularly well here.
I notice that the drums get lost a lot of the time and end up sounding like a cymbal-ey wash. Maybe consider trying out some different samples?
The production isn't outstanding, but it's a bedroom demo so it's not to be expected, all the same I've really enjoyed listening and i think that the rough production style works quite well
actually with the drums it's an electric set that I was playing myself, the open hi hat wasn't really working so I ended up using the crash alot more than I wanted to, thanks for the crits ^^
Makes me think of Rise Against, guitar tone could be better but it does its job of being a demo. I like the overlapping vocals, and it's pretty catchy. I like how you varied the vocals a bit on the second verse and kept it kinda fresh throughout. Nice one!
start again had a very poppy feel i liked alot. although the only problem i had on it was the backup vox didn't sound properly leveled to me or something idk what it was exactly but the song as a whole was great.

All i wanted is great i liked the poppunk/ska feel to it, nothing bad to say about this song, sounds solid. keep doing what you're doing its great!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Warned for having the wrong opinion.
I like these tracks a lot and think they would make a great album once recorded. very New found glory-esque which to me anyway is a good thing.

I wont go into a major crit since they are only demos I'd just maybe suggest using a metronome when you do record the final versions also double tracking guitar just basic things that you probably know anyway, small things like that to make it more cohesive other then that nothing bad I can say about them i hope to hear the final versions!
hey sorry dude, my boarding school's internet doesnt allow us to go on audio streaming websites like soundcloud. yeah bullshit i know but hey dude, thanks for the crit on Sydney - and ill compensate my failure to critique your music with a mandatory bump
the only thing i noticed that wasnt mentioned (i dont think) was the vocals seemed a little to "in your face". i dont know if that was something you thought of for the final recording or something you were just going for. in the final mix, eq a little of the treb out of the cymbals especially--i know you said it was an electronic kit, but food for thought. the arrangement was cool, i liked the melodies, and yes you do have a good voice for the type of music you are making. good job and keep it up! c4c please.... its in my sig. ill follow you on soundcloud too!
VforFailure,
Thanks for the review(s)! "Start Again": the song itself is well written, though the intro guitar playing is rather loose. After awhile the guitar playing gets tighter. Vocals aren't flawless, but vocal melodies/harmonies are good (sometimes they're a bit pitchy)! Glad it has more than one vocal track. 'All I Wanted': surprised by the sax, I assume its real. Sometimes it sounded good, sometimes seemed flat or in the wrong key at times. Good song writing on everything else. Guitar playing: sometimes fairly tight, sometimes kind of loose. Same comments on the vocals as the previous song. Overall, good song.
Hey dude, just heard Start Again. and here for your much overdue crit. How old is your drummer? I'm not meaning to be insulting, I'm just genuinely curious? He needs quite a bit of work unfortunately. The guitar playing is really let down by the drumwork. Tempos, coordination, general groove is all lost because of it. I liked your lyrics, and the vocal style is reminiscent of Green Day. Good stuff
"Start Again":
Cool vocal ideas. I like the vocals. Really good song with lots of potential. The chorus is catchy. I know this is rough, but this needs to be polished and recorded a lot better. Good song.

"All I Wanted":
I love the sax(?). Really awesome feel added with the other instruments. I feel the vocals are the loudest in the song. Need to be turned down some. Interesting vocals. I hear a lot of flat notes in the singing, but it does sound good. Guitar tone works alright with the track, but it could be better. It's 'scratchy'. Awesome song though.

"Sink Or Swim":
Definitely the favorite out of the others so far. Nice warm acoustic tone. I like the vocals. They suit the guitar well. If you pay attention, the guitar makes the whole song have a very 'muddy' sound in the background, but it isn't too noticeable. The high notes distort the song some. Back away from the mic when recording those highs. This needs some backing vocals in certain parts. I would hold that last note too. Great song. Loved it.

"Moving On":
Not really feeling the guitar tone. Awesome song. Sounds like early Blink 182.
I'm loving this so far. Not much to say here.

"Broken Record":
Really nice melody. Catchy vocals. I feel the drums were a tad too loud. Double track the guitar. It may add more to the song. I felt this one was a little too short. Could have gone on another minute or so.

Overall:
Great demo tracks. Awesome ideas.
Record this more properly and you'd have yourself some cool material.
Lots of potential here.

Crit for crit?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449134
Quote by crisisinheaven
Hey dude, just heard Start Again. and here for your much overdue crit. How old is your drummer? I'm not meaning to be insulting, I'm just genuinely curious? He needs quite a bit of work unfortunately. The guitar playing is really let down by the drumwork. Tempos, coordination, general groove is all lost because of it. I liked your lyrics, and the vocal style is reminiscent of Green Day. Good stuff

I played every instrument on this, I'm not really much of a drummer and had some technical difficulties with the hi hats throughout most of the recordings, thanks for the crit