Hey everyone, Ive been playing bass for about 3 years and Ive gotten about good enough so I can play almost all songs I casually listen to (e.g. Rush, RHCP, Jamiroquai).

Ive had lessons for about 2 years, I learned some theory but I sure don't have a thorough understanding, my lessons were focused mostly on technique.

I'm wondering what should I do next. In order to improve faster should I continue to push myself with learning bass lines (Sequoia Throne - PTH, The Real Me - Who ) or should I learn some more complex theory (scales, triads and whatnot)
Quote by 13Kelly13
Hey everyone, Ive been playing bass for about 3 years and Ive gotten about good enough so I can play almost all songs I casually listen to (e.g. Rush, RHCP, Jamiroquai).

Ive had lessons for about 2 years, I learned some theory but I sure don't have a thorough understanding, my lessons were focused mostly on technique.

I'm wondering what should I do next. In order to improve faster should I continue to push myself with learning bass lines (Sequoia Throne - PTH, The Real Me - Who ) or should I learn some more complex theory (scales, triads and whatnot)

yeah, i would do this, especially since tbh scales and triads are relatively simple theory, but once you grasp all the concepts and understand that kind of stuff it makes learning bass lines more interesting, easier to figure out, and you can actually understand the interactions of different instruments and you can understand why a certain bassline works under melodies etc... then writing music becomes easier if you're interested in that
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
if youi can play rush rhcp and the lke no problem I would start looking at specific virtuoso techniques like ouble thump or tapping.

but really your theory is not on par with your technique. you should definitely get to work on that, cuz right now you are a great bass player and a sub par musician.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Fair enough, thanks for the advice both of you, I will definitely get to learning theory in the near future.

Do either of you have any suggestions on how I can go about doing this? (minus paying for more lessons :P )
musictheory.net

or what I would do is just get a new instructor or tell your current one that you are interested i learning more theory.
no sir away a papaya war is on