For a Silver Creek D170, What strings & gauges do you recommend? Which are brighter & which are warmer?
I recommend elixirs (im sure people will hate on them)

phosphor bronze for brighter
other nanoweb covered normals
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
For acoustics, I always use Elixirs. I'll use 80/20 Nanoweb to get a brighter sound out of my guitar, and Phosphor Bronze Polywebs to get a warmer sound. It all depends on the coating...Nanowebs tend to be brighter, Polywebs warmer.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Cleartones all the way. So much more of a brighter sound.
Epiphone PR-4E
Epiphone PR150
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
(lol, think I like epis?)
Im not a fan of Elixirs, too bright and metallic for me.

For a brighter sound, I would go with Martin SP 80/20 Bronze. It's a little more on the balanced side, but still bright.

As for gauge, 12's and 13's are all I use. I wouldn't suggest going much lighter than 11's because light strings will play out of tune a bit more easily.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
My favorite strings at the moment are John Pearse Phosphor Bronze 12's. They have a nice ringing sound without being too bright.
I guess I am looking for bright & warmth with deep resounding lows and cut through highs. Which strings can accomplish this the best?
As you can tell from the above, you have 6 replies... All different. With different guys claiming different sounds from the same strings...

That's all pretty typical. String choice is highly individualistic... Fortunately they are cheap enough to experiment with.
For about 25 years, I've bought nothing but D'Addario phosphor bronze for my acoustics. They sound good to me. They don't have that "crashy" brand-new sound when installed that brass strings frequently do.
However, some folks love that sound...
My new Taylor came with Elixirs. They are certainly OK but I haven't got anything to compare them to at present. The coating rapidly wore off the unwound strings.

The differences between strings are very small. You have "brass", "bronze" "phosphor bronze" "copper".... All of these metals are within a few percentage points of each other as far as the alloys used. (brass and bronze are so similar to each other that even metallurgists have trouble classifying them) "copper" has just enough more of that metal to make the color a little different...
The standard old-timers wisdom is that "brass" strings are a bit brighter, bronze a little darker.
The Elixirs just have a coating that prevents build-up of crud between the windings; otherwise they're pretty much the same as anyone else's.
I haven't experimented with strings in a long time, couple years ago I bought a ton of bottom-of-the-barrel chinese made Harley Benton strings because they were dirt cheap (0.98€ a pack).

Today I restrung my Martin D-28 with a set of Martin SP Phosphor Bronze 92/8 lights (.12-.54) and whoa.. I was blown away by the tone. Too bad I gotta get to work in 90 minutes because I just wanna keep on playing all day long
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
i use d'addario phosphor bronze on most of my guitars, martin silk and steels on the ones that are too bright for my taste and DR rare phosphor bronze for those that are too boomy or need a little extra zazz.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I too like the Martin SP's on most of my guitars, they just seem to bring out the natural tone of the guitar. But, every guitar and ear is different. I have a bright sounding laminate guitar that Cleartone Red strings warm up nice.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Quote by rexherring
I too like the Martin SP's on most of my guitars, they just seem to bring out the natural tone of the guitar. But, every guitar and ear is different. I have a bright sounding laminate guitar that Cleartone Red strings warm up nice.

sounds u got nice stuff.