I'm a beginner, and I'm into metal and hard rock to be general. Now I would like to know a list of techniques that I would have to learn, and would be usefull to learn. i saw some of the song prgression threads which I will probably also be practicing. Thanks
palm muting, alternate picking, soloing, sweep picking(maybe), tapping(maybe), power chords
Here bro, try these links;
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091788
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1090693

These are stickied on the technique forum right at the top.
What sorta stuff do you want to be able to learn in the future, metal is a wide genre :P
Anyway you should stick to the basics at first, i remember i couldnt even play chords properly after a month, so keep practicing!
Quote by ampoverload
palm muting, alternate picking, soloing, sweep picking(maybe), tapping(maybe), power chords

Synyster Gates uses sweeping and tapping in A7X so he might want to learn them.
Quote by Naruto00121
Synyster Gates uses sweeping and tapping in A7X so he might want to learn them.

He hasn't even been playing a month
tapping maybe but you seriously think he should be practicing techniques like sweeping lol
Ok so far on my to-do-list I got:
alternate picking
sweeping
tapping
arrpeggios
palm muting

Now i like stuff like: A7X, Protest the Hero, Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, Metallica, GnR, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Slayer, Parkway Drive among other things.
I already know:
Breaking the Law- Judas Preist

Is their a list of songs that I would like that would get progressivly harder with each song. (I know about the one sticky in Tab Talk, but most those songs dont appeal to me)
try some metallica stuff (without solos) to begin with maybe?
One and Enter Sandman are always good.. just a suggestion
Quote by greeneyegat
try some metallica stuff (without solos) to begin with maybe?
One and Enter Sandman are always good.. just a suggestion

this. metallica has simple riffs and complex riffs. great band to learn from
One of the best resources for <a href="http://www.guitarplayerworld.com">guitar lessons</a> courses is available at http://www.guitarplayerworld.com. Check out this awesome site for guitar players of any levels to get <a href="http://www.guitarplayerworld.com">guitar lessons</a> tutorials.
[although I dont know where those guys got that figure of a month from, nevertheless this applys to begginers in general so listen up] you shouldnt be thinking about sweeping and tapping, you should focus on rhythm guitar playing. If its metal your into then learn the easy metal songs these guys will suggest but dont neglect to learn open chords first (or at least at the same time) as they are important to guitar playing in general. After youve learned a few songs that you like to a decent standard then looks at finger exercises (eg chromatic stuff) and learn the C Major scale (and learn learn it well).

Get a (good) teacher if that is at all a possibility.

Take yer time, learn the basics well - dont neglect the fundamentals and start fumbling around with fancy techniques, thats pointless and counter productive. Build your house upon rock, not sand.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
[although I dont know where those guys got that figure of a month from, nevertheless this applys to begginers in general so listen up] you shouldnt be thinking about sweeping and tapping, you should focus on rhythm guitar playing. If its metal your into then learn the easy metal songs these guys will suggest but dont neglect to learn open chords first (or at least at the same time) as they are important to guitar playing in general. After youve learned a few songs that you like to a decent standard then looks at finger exercises (eg chromatic stuff) and learn the C Major scale (and learn learn it well).

Take yer time, learn the basics well - dont neglect the fundamentals and start fumbling around with fancy techniques, thats pointless and counter productive. Build your house upon rock, not sand.

dont waste money on a teacher. all u need to learn is youtube, friend/family that already plays and a mirror/video camera (to see from a different view point ur technique)
Dont waste money on a teacher - spend money on a teacher, and wisely. A good teacher is far more useful and motivating than Youtube.
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150

This. Learn songs. One at a time. Learn different parts starting slow and then moving up in speed. Perfect the song. Play along with the music until you can match it perfectly time after time. You would be amazed how much easier it is to play and work on techniques if you just learn that first song perfectly.

I'm completely self taught but I'd highly recommend a teacher. It sounds stupid but the value of starting with your guitar, body, pick, hands, arms in the right position cannot be overstated. A person actually there who can observe what you do and diagnose bad technique and habits is so important.
Quote by alairson22
This.

+1
I actually had a guitar teacher for 6 months so I do know the bare bones. Thanks for the links they helped. I have chose to learn "don't fear the reaper" I started the main riff and it's coming along.So I'll try and learn and perfect three more songs so I will have 5 in my repitoire.